Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elliemaybl)
    i have applied to the sixth form at my school and am wondering if i have chosen too many subjects
    I am taken 4 a-levels:
    psychology
    sociology
    fine art
    philosophy, ethics and eastern thought

and 1 AS-levels:
    English literature

i personally think i would be able to cope but everyone has told me i wont be able to. Any advice?
    It's too much - we don't allow ANYONE to do 5 even if their GCSEs are all 9s/A*s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    They were modular though - A levels aren't any more.
    only maths and fm were modular, the others are the new spec, I'm sitting the a levels this year
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Unless you want to die of a premature stress-related heart attack around exam season, I wouldn't recommend it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    i think i will be alright as many people who know me closely have said i will be able to manage. For the last year or so i have been spending all lunches and breaks revising and am spending an average of 4 hours a night working, so i am used to the intense workload.
    One could argue that there is more to life than working and your education. I'm not going to judge you for working 4 hours every night but I think it's important to consider the benefit of doing so. Is the extra time you'll have to put in going to actually return anything? Time is a precious commodity that you cannot get back and dedicating time to 5 A Levels is arguably a waste as you will not actually get anything beneficial, compared to doing 3 or 4 A Levels.

I have talked to many current and past A-level students and have gotten a rough feel of the work load.
    That's fair, not at all saying you won't be able to cope but until you are there you won't really know.

the main reason i am taking so many is that i am really interested in all of them and could not pick between them.
    Are these casual interests or academic interests? Fine Art for example feels very much like something you could study yourself as a hobby and based on what you've mentioned it doesn't really align with your goals. Alternatively, if you are interested in lots of subjects have you considered splitting it up? You may be entitled to do 4 years of A Level study, so you can do 3 of those subjects in your first two years and pick 3 more to do later. If you really wanted to study all of them, you could take the path of least resistance and not overload yourself with work. Wouldn't be my recommendation but it's an option.

I would love to do something within the social sciences. I really like the sound of oxford's PPL course or maybe something around theology or anthropology.
    Covered this above but based on that it does sound like you're wasting your time by taking Fine Art (no offense). You don't really get anything out of taking it. But I'll expand below.

Out of all my subjects English is the one i am mostly to drop as i feel its the one i struggle most with.
    That's fair, I'm not sure what benefit there is to an AS level only subject. If you didn't intend to do both years to begin with then I don't see much point doing the first year.

i am achieving 9s in GCSE fine art at the moment pretty easily and have taken it as a more "relaxing" subject and a break from all the essay writing. Its truly my favorite subject!
    Also fair, although it does complicate things. I'm all for taking additional, easy subjects that you enjoy and also like the idea of adding variety. Based on this, I'd say simply drop the English Literature, focus on the other 3 and keep Fine Art as an additional relaxing subject. It gives you a bit of leeway with regards to university entry requirements and means you don't have to drop a subject you enjoy. Or continue doing Fine Art in your own time so that it doesn't impact your future. Either works.

You definitely have nothing to gain by doing English Lit at AS and ultimately you only need 3 subjects to get your university place. 3 top grades will always look better than 4 not top grades.

ReputationRep:
    i have applied to the sixth form at my school and am wondering if i have chosen too many subjects
    I am taken 4 a-levels:
    psychology
    sociology
    fine art
    philosophy, ethics and eastern thought

and 1 AS-levels:
    English literature

i personally think i would be able to cope but everyone has told me i wont be able to. Any advice?
    Is eating a kilo of chicken a day too much? In terms of average human consumption "Yes", but in the context of my lifestyle the answer is probably "No". So it depends on your ambitions and capabilities. Perhaps you have overestimated your capabilities and will, therefore, struggle, on the other hands perhaps you will cope well, only you can tell, during the process that is.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, it's possible to do 5 a levels. For example, my friend got A*A*A*AAA in 6 A Levels and my cousin is currently doing 5 A Levels in Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths and Further Maths (but may drop bio, so potentially the same situation as you). But I have another friend who was also doing bio chem phys maths and further maths but dropped bio within a couple of months as he couldn't cope with all those subjects anymore. It does require a lot of hard work - I work for hours a day and I'm only doing Bio, Chem and Maths. Personally, I'd advise against it as unis only require 3 grades at the end of the day. Yes, doing 5 may look good but it's pointless and does nothing but add a multitude of unnecessary and avoidable stress (IMO).

But, it is up to you. Take from this what you will and good luck either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aesthete1)
    only maths and fm were modular, the others are the new spec, I'm sitting the a levels this year
    Still easier than all linear -

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sportyegg)
    I mean, it's possible to do 5 a levels. For example, my friend got A*A*A*AAA in 6 A Levels and my cousin is currently doing 5 A Levels in Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths and Further Maths (but may drop bio, so potentially the same situation as you). .

Modular A levells were NOT the same and it was easier to spread the workload.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Erm yes I know.. My friend who did 6 a levels completed them last year (hence they WERE linear, except for 'normal' maths as he sat that entire subject in Year 12, and then sat the other 5 subjects in Year 13), and my cousin is also doing linear a levels so....

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I am going to offer a counter-opinion to a lot of people on here. I go to a comprehensive school that only requires Cs to do A levels (possibly a B in the subject but not really enforced strictly) and it is very common for people to do 5 A-levels here (you can pick up to four and one is compulsory). It is a lot of work but, if you think you can do it, go for it

ReputationRep:
    To be honest you won’t believe how hard alevels are until you do them. 5 is a lot to deal with and I don’t think it’s worth the stress. Id recommend taking 3 subjects and really concentrate on getting the top grades in those as most top universities only ask for 3 Alevel grades. I take fine art and that takes up an unbelievable amount of time, therefore if you take fine art I’d stick to 3 alevels and possible a AS. Obviously the decision is up to you and if you really want to do 5 Alevels go for it, just be prepared for a bit of stress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sportyegg)
    I mean, it's possible to do 5 a levels. For example, my friend got A*A*A*AAA in 6 A Levels and my cousin is currently doing 5 A Levels in Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths and Further Maths (but may drop bio, so potentially the same situation as you). .

ReputationRep:
    My advice would be to start the 5 and before October half term make a decision about whether to carry them on or not. You might find you hate a subject you thought you’d love so you’ll want to drop it anyway. A levels are tough but everyone handles them differently, it also depends how much you have going on outside of school.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.