Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya - I’m a student who took AS Maths last year, but didn’t sit any exams and dropped it due to health reasons, but will be picking it up again in the new spec in September.

Could anyone shed some light on the changes between old spec and new, and some useful tips given I haven’t done any maths that I fully understood since GCSE a couple years ago 😅

I’ll be fast tracking the A-Level over 9 months, but don’t wish to be behind when I begin.

Any info at all is useful,

Thank you!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    im 2nd year old spec.
    I have used jack brown on YouTube for the full courses.
    he has the new spec on there. if you watch his full course, you'll be ahead, or will have seen the content already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuthieG101)
    im 2nd year old spec.
    I have used jack brown on YouTube for the full courses.
    he has the new spec on there. if you watch his full course, you'll be ahead, or will have seen the content already.
    Thank you, I’d never heard of him before.

Are there any topics you’re expected to know going into A-Level maths? As I say, it’s been a while and I can’t recall the A* GCSE stuff.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    Hiya - I’m a student who took AS Maths last year, but didn’t sit any exams and dropped it due to health reasons, but will be picking it up again in the new spec in September.

Could anyone shed some light on the changes between old spec and new, and some useful tips given I haven’t done any maths that I fully understood since GCSE a couple years ago 😅

I’ll be fast tracking the A-Level over 9 months, but don’t wish to be behind when I begin.

Any info at all is useful,

Thank you!
    The main differences are that content is now the same across every exam board, you have to take both mechanics and statistics and the the final grade is determined only by exams taken at the end of the course.

For pure the content hasn't changed much but there are a few additions and other things that have been moved to further maths.Stats and mechanics are made up of mainly M1/2 and S1/2 topics but for stats there are major changes related to use of a calcualator.

Here's a guide to the changes and this shows you the differences in content.

Will you be self-teaching? If you have any other questions let me know
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Are there any topics you’re expected to know going into A-Level maths? As I say, it’s been a while and I can’t recall the A* GCSE stuff.
    Yes there are quite a few - mainly you need to make sure your algebra is A/A* GCSE level. Other topics like trigonometry and graphs are very important for A Level but really all of GCSE is assumed knowledge when you get to A Level.

I made a topic list for GCSE with links to quesrions which might be useful for you to check what you can and can't do (there are a few topics that you might not have done since this is the new spec). Also maybe try a GCSE paper or two to see what you need to work on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    Yes there are quite a few - mainly you need to make sure your algebra is A/A* GCSE level. Other topics like trigonometry and graphs are very important for A Level but really all of GCSE is assumed knowledge when you get to A Level.

I made a topic list for GCSE with links to quesrions which might be useful for you to check what you can and can't do (there are a few topics that you might not have done since this is the new spec). Also maybe try a GCSE paper or two to see what you need to work on.
    Thank you for both of your comments - I’ll be registered in sixth form and attend when I can, but due to a bone condition it’s inevitable that self studying will be necessary! I enjoy maths thoroughly, but it’s difficult with limited resources to study at home, but there may be more available online than I thought. If you know of any sites or textbooks of use, that’d be much appreciated!
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Thank you for both of your comments - I’ll be registered in sixth form and attend when I can, but due to a bone condition it’s inevitable that self studying will be necessary! I enjoy maths thoroughly, but it’s difficult with limited resources to study at home, but there may be more available online than I thought. If you know of any sites or textbooks of use, that’d be much appreciated!
    You may already be aware of it but Examsolutions (scroll down for new spec) is the best website for the UK A Level course. There are videos for every topic and he goes through lots of questions. I recommend this along with getting the official AQA textbooks for your course. For self-teaching a good plan of study when starting a new topic is to watch the Examsolutions videos then read the examples in your textbook before trying all the questions. This method along with past papers when revision starts may be enough for you to self-study.

If a teacher is not there to help you then this forum is a great place for self-studiers to ask questions and many have been successful doing this. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I’d never heard of him before.

Jack Brown also has a bridging GCSE and a level playlist, which may help

ReputationRep:
    You may already be aware of it but Examsolutions (scroll down for new spec) is the best website for the UK A Level course. There are videos for every topic and he goes through lots of questions. I recommend this along with getting the official AQA textbooks for your course. For self-teaching a good plan of study when starting a new topic is to watch the Examsolutions videos then read the examples in your textbook before trying all the questions. This method along with past papers when revision starts may be enough for you to self-study.

If a teacher is not there to help you then this forum is a great place for self-studiers to ask questions and many have been successful doing this. Good luck
    I’ll apologise in advance if you see my name pop up multiple times in this thread once I get started 😂
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The main differences are that content is now the same across every exam board, you have to take both mechanics and statistics and the the final grade is determined only by exams taken at the end of the course.

For pure the content hasn't changed much but there are a few additions and other things that have been moved to further maths.Stats and mechanics are made up of mainly M1/2 and S1/2 topics but for stats there are major changes related to use of a calcualator.

Here's a guide to the changes and this shows you the differences in content.

Will you be self-teaching? If you have any other questions let me know
    They really should make applied optional at both A level and Further Maths
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I’ll apologise in advance if you see my name pop up multiple times in this thread once I get started 😂
    The more questions the better! For maths questions it's usually best to start a new thread so you get a quicker answer instead of keeping them in one place.

ReputationRep:

can u pretty please do one for Year one maths and further maths o.o
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Sanjith Hegde123)
    can u pretty please do one for Year one maths and further maths o.o
    That would be a nice resource but there aren't enough new specimen questions to do this. It would have to be mainly links to old past paper questions but there are resources for this already e.g. the Physicsandmathstutor "questions by topic" links.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.