Problem with GCSE Chemistry Specification?

Watch
HateMarkSchemes
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Page 63 of the GCSE Chemistry Specification says...

"For example: glycine is H2NCH2COOH and polymerises to producethe polypeptide
(-HNCH2COO-)n
and n H2O"

However, drawing out the polymerisation, this doesn't seem right - the carboxyl group should lose the whole -OH, not just the -H, otherwise it wouldn't be a peptide bond, and there would be no oxygen lost so H2O would not be formed. The polymer should be (-HNCH2CO-)n.

Have I made some grave error, or is this a typo in the spec?
mehhhh.
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
youve made a grave error :P,
The Carboxylic group and the Amine group produce the water, not two carboxylic acid groups.
Hope this helps haha Name:  image-a5fede63-c75e-455d-9d87-28c960b0b7b2402024947-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 209
Size:  23.6 KB
HateMarkSchemes
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Najrul Islam)
youve made a grave error :P,
The Carboxylic group and the Amine group produce the water, not two carboxylic acid groups.
Hope this helps haha Name:  image-a5fede63-c75e-455d-9d87-28c960b0b7b2402024947-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 209
Size:  23.6 KB
Thanks for taking the time to draw this out, however I don't think you've read my question properly.I'm not talking about the formation of a dipeptide, as you've drawn, but the polymerisation into a polypeptide, where there will be a repeating unit.

According to the specification, this repeating unit will be (-HNCH2COO-), however this doesn't seem right and I think it should be (-HNCH2CO-).

In this image from wikipedia:

... we can see that the repeating unit is how I described it, (-HNCH2CO-), as the full -OH group from the carboxyl group is lost, so it cannot be -COO. So it looks like AQA have just made a typo in their spec :P
mehhhh.
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
haha my bad, yes you are right
cookie9739
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I knew there was a mistake! Why have AQA not corrected this yet? Or are we missing something? I spoke to my chemistry teacher a while ago and he also thinks it is a mistake.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (116)
27.55%
England (147)
34.92%
Belgium (32)
7.6%
Germany (42)
9.98%
Spain (10)
2.38%