Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I applied for Cambridge and UCL for an Master in Neuroscience and got an offer from UCL, while still waiting for the answer from Cambridge.
    I know that acutally for right now I don't have any options, cause I haven't heard back from Cambridge yet. But I am already thinking about what I would do if I got accepted from Cambridge as well.

There a few things I consider:

Cambridge:
    - I wanted to study in Cambridge since I was 15 years old.

- I already did an internship there and could do my Masters thesis in the same lab. So I already would have an project in a lab that I know and a project I am passionated about.

- I think that living in Cambridge would be easier since it is a smaller city than London.

- Cambridge seems to have a higher reputation and name world-wide than the UCL, even thoug UCL is an excellent University.

UCL:
    - The Master's programme perfectly fits my interests and the reasons why I wanna do a Master's before an Ph.D.

- Living in London for a year would be probably as nice as living in Cambridge.

- The University is an excellent one and has a especially good reputation for neuroscience and has a big community in neuroscience.

I got the same funding for both Universities, so that's not an issue. I guess that UCL is just as a good option as Cambridge, if not even a better one for my interest, but it is really hard to turn down my dream of studying in Cambridge.

I would be very happy about your opinions.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by lauraeleonora)
    Hey,
    I applied for Cambridge and UCL for an Master in Neuroscience and got an offer from UCL, while still waiting for the answer from Cambridge.
    I know that acutally for right now I don't have any options, cause I haven't heard back from Cambridge yet. But I am already thinking about what I would do if I got accepted from Cambridge as well.

There a few things I consider:

Cambridge:
    - I wanted to study in Cambridge since I was 15 years old.

- I already did an internship there and could do my Masters thesis in the same lab. So I already would have an project in a lab that I know and a project I am passionated about.

- I think that living in Cambridge would be easier since it is a smaller city than London.

- Cambridge seems to have a higher reputation and name world-wide than the UCL, even thoug UCL is an excellent University.

UCL:
    - The Master's programme perfectly fits my interests and the reasons why I wanna do a Master's before an Ph.D.

- Living in London for a year would be probably as nice as living in Cambridge.

- The University is an excellent one and has a especially good reputation for neuroscience and has a big community in neuroscience.

I got the same funding for both Universities, so that's not an issue. I guess that UCL is just as a good option as Cambridge, if not even a better one for my interest, but it is really hard to turn down my dream of studying in Cambridge.

I would be very happy about your opinions.
    It's probably a toss up between doing your project in a lab you know and are familiar with and doing a masters that fits with your interests. Presumably the lab you are familiar with is doing stuff you are interested in?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.