Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a postgraduate masters dissertation. It's a descriptive research basically on what stops employers recruiting disabled people.

I've gotten my survey results in and in addition to overall results, I want to talk about the filtered results and that's where I'm struggling - I'm not sure how best to do this.

I've applied filters in surveymonkey and I can see that certain industry sectors are less likely to recruit disabled people and some are more likely. I have been able to establish which disabilities are the most 'challenging' for employers to recruit, and I have also been able to establish from applying filters, what the 'good' employers have been doing right, and what the 'bad' employers have been doing wrong - for want of better descriptions!

I just don't know how to go about reporting this. I need to keep my results and discussion chapters separate. My supervisor said to apply systematic variables or thematic analysis - this has just confused me further. What are my variables? Can I have lots of variables? Where do I describe my variables and how?

I'm feeling very thick right now. Every time I start feeling confident with what I'm doing, I feel like I'm back at square one. I'm a mature student and it's been a long time since I've done university study

Any help and advice really really appreciated. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds interesting ngl! What university and what masters course are you doing if you don’t mind me asking?
    Just out of curiosity what were the least employable disabilities and what sectors are the least likely to employ people with disabilities? I’m just curious😂 sorry I have helped with your question haha
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizzib80)
    I'm doing a postgraduate masters dissertation. It's a descriptive research basically on what stops employers recruiting disabled people.

I've gotten my survey results in and in addition to overall results, I want to talk about the filtered results and that's where I'm struggling - I'm not sure how best to do this.

I've applied filters in surveymonkey and I can see that certain industry sectors are less likely to recruit disabled people and some are more likely. I have been able to establish which disabilities are the most 'challenging' for employers to recruit, and I have also been able to establish from applying filters, what the 'good' employers have been doing right, and what the 'bad' employers have been doing wrong - for want of better descriptions!

I just don't know how to go about reporting this. I need to keep my results and discussion chapters separate. My supervisor said to apply systematic variables or thematic analysis - this has just confused me further. What are my variables? Can I have lots of variables? Where do I describe my variables and how?

I'm feeling very thick right now. Every time I start feeling confident with what I'm doing, I feel like I'm back at square one. I'm a mature student and it's been a long time since I've done university study

Any help and advice really really appreciated. Thank you!
    I guess some variables could be industry/sector, size of company, turnover, age of company, location of company, nationality... I don’t know what results you've collected but does that help? I imagine you’d also need to discuss bias - eg how do you know you can trust the results? No-one is going to say ‘we don’t recruit people with x because they’re not as productive as people with y’, and I’d be stunned if anyone openly admitted to breaching the Equality Act 2010. Good luck with it all (from a former mature student) :-)

ReputationRep:
    visual impairments, and construction/engineering and childcare industries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    I guess some variables could be industry/sector, size of company, turnover, age of company, location of company, nationality... I don’t know what results you've collected but does that help? I imagine you’d also need to discuss bias - eg how do you know you can trust the results? No-one is going to say ‘we don’t recruit people with x because they’re not as productive as people with y’, and I’d be stunned if anyone openly admitted to breaching the Equality Act 2010. Good luck with it all (from a former mature student) :-)
    Hey, thanks for this, it's what I was thinking variables meant. Now I feel really thick ha ha. And actually respondents are opening admitting to discrimination - probably because I've made the survey anonymous.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.