Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I need some quick help regarding the 6th Sefton my PFF2 form.
    Long story short, my mum is working as a senior health care nurse at the moment and her pay isn't especially high. I have an older brother who earns twice as much as my mum but is supposed to be moving out but I need to send my form off, do I set him on the form or off it? And I also have a sister who will be on her apprenticeship but will be finishing it. Do i add her income? And another tricky part is my twin brother who is thinking of getting an apprenticeship ( not degree). What do I do?

If you don't understand specific parts of my problem feel free to ask and I can explain.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Jordanjjn)
    Hi,
    Long story short, my mum is working as a senior health care nurse at the moment and her pay isn't especially high. I have an older brother who earns twice as much as my mum but is supposed to be moving out but I need to send my form off, do I set him on the form or off it? And I also have a sister who will be on her apprenticeship but will be finishing it. Do i add her income? And another tricky part is my twin brother who is thinking of getting an apprenticeship ( not degree). What do I do?

If you don't understand specific parts of my problem feel free to ask and I can explain.
    Are your siblings over 18? If so then unless they’re at university or college then they aren’t child dependents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Are your siblings over 18? If so then unless they’re at university or college then they aren’t child dependents.
    thanks! they're all 18 or over.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    what about my twin brother on the apprenticeship? seeing as he's living at home and on apprenticeship? or do I not write anyone down
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    what about my twin brother on the apprenticeship? seeing as he's living at home and on apprenticeship? or do I not write anyone down
    Presumably he’ll be over 18?

In which case it’s down to whether SFE class an apprenticeship as further or higher education.

Hopefully one of their reps will post here soon and clarify that.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Jordanjjn,

Your mother should put your twin brother also on the application as a dependent not in further or higher education.

Thanks

Catherine
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Catherine SFE)
    Hi Jordanjjn,

Your mother should put your twin brother also on the application as a dependent not in further or higher education.

Thanks

Catherine
    Even if his brother is over 18? He wont be a child surely - so if he isn't in FE or HE isn't a child dependent.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4101385 stated that over 18 siblings not in education aren't considered child dependents.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by PQ)
    Even if his brother is over 18? He wont be a child surely - so if he isn't in FE or HE isn't a child dependent.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4101385 stated that over 18 siblings not in education aren't considered child dependents.
    Hi PQ,

If your brother is still living in the household, then we will require him to be on section 6 your dependents question 1 where it asks for dependents over 16 that are not in further or higher education and their earnings if he is not earning then your sponsor would put £0.

Thanks

Catherine
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Hi PQ,

If your brother is still living in the household, then we will require him to be on section 6 your dependents question 1 where it asks for dependents over 16 that are not in further or higher education and their earnings if he is not earning then your sponsor would put £0.

Thanks

Catherine
    That isn't what has been advised previously https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4101385
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by PQ)
    That isn't what has been advised previously https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4101385
    Hi

I have double checked this with a manager, he will go into section 6 but it won't affect the household income.

Thanks

Catherine
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Hi

I have double checked this with a manager, he will go into section 6 but it won't affect the household income.

Thanks

Catherine
    That's good to know - thanks for checking

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Thanks

Catherine
    thankyou for the help with all of this, it's so confusing!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi,

Hi Jordanjjn,

If you are under 25 years old, it is only your parents income that we will ask you to provide.

If your twin brother is over 18 and in higher education he will be listed as another student on the application, if he is working then we will not use his income he is then not dependent on your parents.

Thanks Rona
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Rona SFE)
    Hi Jordanjjn,

If you are under 25 years old, it is only your parents income that we will ask you to provide.

If your twin brother is over 18 and in higher education he will be listed as another student on the application, if he is working then we will not use his income he is then not dependent on your parents.

Thanks Rona
    If he is over 18 and not in HE or FE (do you class apprenticeships as FE?) then should his brother be listed in Section 6?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by PQ)
    If he is over 18 and not in HE or FE (do you class apprenticeships as FE?) then should his brother be listed in Section 6?
    Hi PQ,

If the apprenticeship is through a college it may be classed as a dependant in further education, if through an employer and receiving a low income then could still be classed as dependent on his parents, but we would need to see evidence of that.

The regulations state that the child dependant has to be financially dependant on the sponsor.

Any dependant 18 or over who is not in further education will not be taken into consideration when assessing the students application, however we will require evidence to confirm they are in fact wholly financially dependant on the sponsor.

Regards Rona
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Hi PQ,

If the apprenticeship is through a college it may be classed as a dependant in further education, if through an employer and receiving a low income then could still be classed as dependent on his parents, but we would need to see evidence of that.

The regulations state that the child dependant has to be financially dependant on the sponsor.

Any dependant 18 or over who is not in further education will not be taken into consideration when assessing the students application, however we will require evidence to confirm they are in fact wholly financially dependant on the sponsor.

Regards Rona
    That still doesn't answer the question - should the OP's brother be listed in Section 6? And if so how would the OPs parents provide evidence that they are or aren't financially dependent?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by PQ)
    That still doesn't answer the question - should the OP's brother be listed in Section 6? And if so how would the OPs parents provide evidence that they are or aren't financially dependent?
    Hi PQ,

If the dependant is over 18 years of age, is in further education they would list that child as dependant and their income as zero.

If the child over 18 is earning , claiming unemployment benefit etc they would not be considered dependant and not included in the students assessment.

If a the sponsor considers that the child over 18 years of age,
    not in further education but is still dependant on them, then they should list that child as dependant and enter that child's income.
    The income in this section is for the academic year in which the student will be attending, not for a specific tax year and provide evidence of how they are financially dependant on them.

If they are 18 or over and not in full time education we could potentially count them as a child dependent however we would need to see evidence to confirm they were in fact wholly financially dependent on the sponsor.

If no evidence was provided with the application, we would initially remove them from the assessment and write out for further clarification. We need to see evidence that they are wholly financially dependent on the sponsor.

Please note, we are unable to provide a 'list' of acceptable evidence as this can vary between each student. We recommend that they provide as much evidence as possible to confirm they are dependent on the sponsor and an assessor will look at these on a case-by-case basis.

Regards Rona
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Hi PQ,

If the dependant is over 18 years of age, is in further education they would list that child as dependant and their income as zero.

If the child over 18 is earning , claiming unemployment benefit etc they would not be considered dependant and not included in the students assessment.

If a the sponsor considers that the child over 18 years of age,
    not in further education but is still dependant on them, then they should list that child as dependant and enter that child's income.
    The income in this section is for the academic year in which the student will be attending, not for a specific tax year and provide evidence of how they are financially dependant on them.

If they are 18 or over and not in full time education we could potentially count them as a child dependent however we would need to see evidence to confirm they were in fact wholly financially dependent on the sponsor.

If no evidence was provided with the application, we would initially remove them from the assessment and write out for further clarification. We need to see evidence that they are wholly financially dependent on the sponsor.

Please note, we are unable to provide a 'list' of acceptable evidence as this can vary between each student. We recommend that they provide as much evidence as possible to confirm they are dependent on the sponsor and an assessor will look at these on a case-by-case basis.

Regards Rona
    Hi Rona

Thanks for clarifying (and sorry to keep on about this) - but what I'm trying to get is some clear guidance from the OP about what they need to put specifically in section 6 of the PFF2 form.

When you say "If the child over 18 is earning , claiming unemployment benefit etc they would not be considered dependant and not included in the students assessment" does that mean that in that circumstance the OPs parents should NOT list them on Section 6 of the PFF2 form? And that they should ONLY be listed on section 6 of the PFF2 form if the child is not earning/claiming benefits (or if they're in education and go into the other box)?

It feels like the form is lacking a box to collect details of any dependent ADULTS who should be taken into account when calculating the sponsor's household income....and so the box asking about dependent children is being used as a substitute but without clear guidance or definitions.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    [QUOTE=PQ;76490744]Hi Rona

Thanks for clarifying (and sorry to keep on about this) - but what I'm trying to get is some clear guidance from the OP about what they need to put specifically in section 6 of the PFF2 form.

When you say "If the child over 18 is earning , claiming unemployment benefit etc they would not be considered dependant and not included in the students assessment" does that mean that in that circumstance the OPs parents should NOT list them on Section 6 of the PFF2 form? And that they should ONLY be listed on section 6 of the PFF2 form if the child is not earning/claiming benefits (or if they're in education and go into the other box)?

It feels like the form is lacking a box to collect details of any dependent ADULTS who should be taken into account when calculating the sponsor's household income....and so the box asking about dependent children is being used as a substitute but without clear guidance or definitions.[/QUOTE

Hi PQ,

It depends on whether they consider the child is still dependant, they can still list them and allow the assessors to make that decision.

If the child is in further or higher education then they should be listed in Section 6, question 2

If the parents consider that the child, even if not in further education is still dependant on them then the parents should list them in Section 6 Q1,

The section requests information on children who are financially dependant on the parents. They should enter children who are not in further or higher education.

If the child is over 18 and not in full time education, we will look for evidence to show that they are in fact dependent.
    The income asked for in this section is for the academic year in which the student will be attending, not for a specific tax year.

Children who are 18 and over, who are not in full time education can still be classed as dependent on their parents. However, in these cases it is more likely that the child will have an income in their own right through employment or benefits. If it is clear that the child is not dependent, then we will not use the income declared.

If the child dependent is over 18 and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) then this can be used to show the child is dependent on their parent(s). However the amount of this they are in receipt of would not be used in the assessment of the students finance.

Thanks Rona
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Hi PQ,

It depends on whether they consider the child is still dependant, they can still list them and allow the assessors to make that decision.

If the child is in further or higher education then they should be listed in Section 6, question 2

If the parents consider that the child, even if not in further education is still dependant on them then the parents should list them in Section 6 Q1,

The section requests information on children who are financially dependant on the parents. They should enter children who are not in further or higher education.

If the child is over 18 and not in full time education, we will look for evidence to show that they are in fact dependent.
    The income asked for in this section is for the academic year in which the student will be attending, not for a specific tax year.

Children who are 18 and over, who are not in full time education can still be classed as dependent on their parents. However, in these cases it is more likely that the child will have an income in their own right through employment or benefits. If it is clear that the child is not dependent, then we will not use the income declared.

If the child dependent is over 18 and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) then this can be used to show the child is dependent on their parent(s). However the amount of this they are in receipt of would not be used in the assessment of the students finance.

Thanks Rona
    Thanks Rona

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.