Turn on thread page Beta

Making friends, London uni watch

I’ll be starting uni at UCL as an EU student next autumn.

I couodn’t be more excited to move to London, as it’s my dream city and I’ve loved it on my 3 visits there.

But I can’t help but worry that I will struggle to make friends. How easy is it generally for a foreign student to make friends at a London uni? Provided I put myself out there/don’t just stay in my room.

Same goes for love interests.

ReputationRep:
    See I go SOAS (Opposite of UCL)
    And I generally find that foreigners find it easier to make friends and hold up a conversation rather than us British ppl ( some of us are just awkward AF 😂)

(Original post by Taka345)
    See I go SOAS (Opposite of UCL)
    And I generally find that foreigners find it easier to make friends and hold up a conversation rather than us British ppl ( some of us are just awkward AF 😂)
    Do foreign students(provided they speak fluent English) befriend British students as much as other foreigners or are people usually with thier own native groups?(I would hate the latter)

Is there any discrimination etc, do friend groups usually consist of multiple nationalities?

ReputationRep:
    Oh yh it's extremely mixed of what I've see in friendship groups, Ive never seen any discrimination In my Uni it's extremely diverse which is why.
    Some people tend to at first mix with their native groups because they're really shy but once youve settled down it'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Do foreign students(provided they speak fluent English) befriend British students as much as other foreigners or are people usually with thier own native groups?(I would hate the latter)

Is there any discrimination etc, do friend groups usually consist of multiple nationalities?
    You'll have no issues making friends! Be friendly to everyone, be social, get involved with activities, etc and it will be fine.

Ive been on courses with people from the EU - they make friends easily. You'll make friends with other guys from the EU, as well as Brits.

Dont over think it or worry too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I’ll be starting uni at UCL as an EU student next autumn.

I couodn’t be more excited to move to London, as it’s my dream city and I’ve loved it on my 3 visits there.

But I can’t help but worry that I will struggle to make friends. How easy is it generally for a foreign student to make friends at a London uni? Provided I put myself out there/don’t just stay in my room.

Same goes for love interests.
    Hey im going UCL in autumn I think (havent firmed yet). What course are you applying for?

(Original post by SuperHuman98)
    Hey im going UCL in autumn I think (havent firmed yet). What course are you applying for?
    Hey, I have a confirmed place for economics (I applied last year alrewdy but deferred it)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.