Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    heya bit stuck here and i'm just wondering how wavelength affects the angle of incidence + reflection?

ReputationRep:
    Wavelength doesn't affect the angle of incidence or reflection.....but the way the waves strike a medium does (or an object).

If it hits 90 degrees (perpendicular) to the reflective object (hence, parallel to the normal line), then the wave will be reflected straight back.

However if it hits a reflective object at an angle, angle of incidence will be same as angle of reflection (This is according to the reflection Law)

But if it hits a medium (say transparent object), the angle of incidence must be greater than critical angle, at which total internal reflection will take place. Again, according to reflection law, angle of incidence will be same as angle of reflection

If it hits 90 degrees (perpendicular) to the medium (hence, parallel to the normal line), then the wave will pass straight through with no reflection.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by neluxsan)
    Wavelength doesn't affect the angle of incidence or reflection.....but the way the waves strike a medium does (or an object).

If it hits 90 degrees (perpendicular) to the object (hence, parallel to the normal line), then the wave will be reflected straight back.

However if it hits a reflective object at an angle, angle of incidence will be same as angle of reflection (This is according to the reflection Law)

But if it hits a medium (say transparent object), the angle of incidence must be greater than critical angle, at which total internal reflection will take place. Again, according to reflection law, angle of incidence will be same as angle of reflection
    i'm doing some question on the ray box experiment and the final question asks me how the angles of incidence and angle of reflection would be affected if red light was used and not blue light- idk if i'm overthinking it.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I see, they will be reflected equally, but REFRACTED (totally different topic) differently. Red light will refract less (bend less) than blue light, because (like you said), they have different wavelength (Red light has bigger wavelength than blue light).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ahh I see, they will be reflected equally, but REFRACTED (totally different topic) differently. Red light will refract less (bend less) than blue light, because (like you said), they have different wavelength (Red light has bigger wavelength than blue light).
    but i'm so confused because it's asking me about reflection- so the results wouldn't be affected?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertainmyfaith)
    but i'm so confused because it's asking me about reflection- so the results wouldn't be affected?
    No they won't be due to Reflection Laws. Google Reflection Law, and you might understand better?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No they won't be due to Reflection Laws. Google Reflection Law, and you might understand better?
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    np

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.