Turn on thread page Beta

Did the calculator requirements for A level Maths change? watch

ReputationRep:
    I just did a C2 past paper from 2005, and the mark scheme says:

"A1 an exact expression for x that can be evaluated on a calculator
    e.g. log35 scores M1 A0"

However my calculator lets me evaluate log35 and gave me the right answer?

When I bought it last year or the year before (can't remember exactly) it said on the box it was suitable for A level exams

ReputationRep:
    Not too sure what u are trying to say here can u post links to the paper and mark scheme and tell us the question.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trou_noir)

e.g. log35 scores M1 A0"

When I bought it last year or the year before (can't remember exactly) it said on the box it was suitable for A level exams
    Your calculator, which I am assuming is the basic FX83GT, will always be suitable for exams. Please excuse me if I got the model wrong, please correct me if I am. But to my knowledge, what that mark scheme is saying is basically you showing no working out and completing an expression for x without specifying what you are doing on the paper.

I apologize in advance if I am wrong, but that is what I think it means.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper

e.g. log35 scores M1 A0"

You don't need to worry about this. The \log_a b function on your calculator can be used in modern exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bradley00)
    Your calculator, which I am assuming is the basic FX83GT, will always be suitable for exams. Please excuse me if I got the model wrong, please correct me if I am. But to my knowledge, what that mark scheme is saying is basically you showing no working out and completing an expression for x without specifying what you are doing on the paper.

I apologize in advance if I am wrong, but that is what I think it means.
    Thank you

The question is 3^x = 5
    Find x

I don't understand why it is not showing your working to say that the log of 3 which gives 5 is x. Isn't that what logarithms are?

I don't get why you would need to say x = log 5 / log 3 (which is what the exam paper says I haven't done), that seems like an extra step for no reason?

And yes that's my calculator!
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Thank you

The question is 3^x = 5
    Find x

I don't understand why it is not showing your working to say that the log of 3 which gives 5 is x. Isn't that what logarithms are?

I don't get why you would need to say x = log 5 / log 3 (which is what the exam paper says I haven't done), that seems like an extra step for no reason?

And yes that's my calculator!
    In those days the assumption was that calculators could only do log base 10 so certain mark schemes would only allow methods that used log base 10 caclulator function (this does seem silly looking back).

If you look at any modern mark scheme you'll see alternative methods given that include the use of the \log_a b function.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    In those days the assumption was that calculators could only do log base 10 so certain mark schemes would only allow methods that used log base 10 caclulator function (this does seem silly looking back).

If you look at any modern mark scheme you'll see alternative methods given that include the use of the \log_a b function.
    Oh alright

Scary to think how much life has changed since the olden days of 2005!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.