• Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by dowell1475)
    I have also looked into Cambridge, would it be better to study HoA is Cambridge or in Oxford?

HoA in UAL sounds good also. I'll look into UEA, it looks nice, although I would prefer to be closer to London to be able to attend acting and castings. Are there any good unis for HoA in Scotland? I've heard Edinburgh has great a theatre scene
    Goldsmiths in London has a strong HoA course. As does UCL.

Up in Scotland Edinburgh (Edinburgh College of Art) is going to be "the best" but is tough to get an offer from.

Have a look into the course content to find out whether you would be able to include any practical art work as well as theory. There's a lot of variety (some courses are in a general history dept, others are in a special history of art and others are linked to a fine art degree and have more practice options).
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Oh and a good backup choice would be https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/courses...museum-studies (if only because of the great links to galleries and museums in the area (including the Tate) and the curatorial aspects...plus there's a strong theatre and media industry in the NW so you wouldn't be missing out on that side of things).
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by PQ)
    Goldsmiths in London has a strong HoA course. As does UCL.

Up in Scotland Edinburgh (Edinburgh College of Art) is going to be "the best" but is tough to get an offer from.

Have a look into the course content to find out whether you would be able to include any practical art work as well as theory. There's a lot of variety (some courses are in a general history dept, others are in a special history of art and others are linked to a fine art degree and have more practice options).
    You saved me from tagging you :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Ha! Ok thanks.

And actually usually Oxford has the reputation of being more "old-fashioned" than Cambridge... whereas both are really quite similar.

You will need to visit these places and see for yourself. There's plenty of old, and new, in both cities.

The colleges all have their own art collections, plus there are some world class museums. e.g. http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/collections

Or modern art (and brutalist architecture) at Churchill College, Cambridge, for example, if that's the kind of thing you like:
    https://www.chu.cam.ac.uk/about/art-collection/
    Although many colleges have a mix of very old, and postmodern, buildings.
    I'm quite impressed with Cambridge. I'll visit my list of unis this summer and I'll come back here to tell you how it went. You have helped me a whole lot, thank you very much for everything!!:smile:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by dowell1475)
    I'm quite impressed with Cambridge. I'll visit my list of unis this summer and I'll come back here to tell you how it went. You have helped me a whole lot, thank you very much for everything!!:smile:
    Excellent And pay close attention to PQs advice. Unlike me, she *is* an expert.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Oh and a good backup choice would be https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/courses...museum-studies (if only because of the great links to galleries and museums in the area (including the Tate) and the curatorial aspects...plus there's a strong theatre and media industry in the NW so you wouldn't be missing out on that side of things).
    Fine art and art history combined sounds very interesting. Thank you for the recommendations!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2018
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.