The Student Room Group

Year abroad vs Year In Industry?

It's hypothetical, but assuming you have the choice between a year abroad at a very prestigious university or a placement at a very well established or above average company for your respective course (E.g for CS it would a place like Google, Microsoft, IBM etc.) what would you choose?

Also out of curiosity, I'll add another hypothetical, but In this case the university abroad Is on par with the one you're attending or slightly below It In terms of academics and employment opportunities and the placement would be at an average or slightly below average company. What would you choose?

I know It's an oddly specific question, but I am curious.:smile:
I chose year in industry, hopefully gonna be my 3rd year here
Year in industry every time. In the current climate relevant work experience is more valuable than any degree, no matter how good the university.
(edited 6 years ago)
Year in industry, as above said employers are more interested in you showing experience rather than a degree from a more "special" university especially if you only went to said university for part of the degree.
Original post by howitoughttobe
Year in industry every time. In the current climate relevant work experience is more valuable than any degree, no matter how good the university.

Amen to that.
Definitely echo the sentiments above about industry being really invaluable for your CV and putting you a step above the rest after graduation!

Whilst I don't want to knock the experiences study abroad brings (especially for those that have never really ventured beyond their hometowns!), I think a year in industry gives you the best of both worlds--after all, a year's worth of wage can also mean that, if you save, you can also manage a holiday abroad in the summertime and fulfill that travel bug!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending