Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can everyone tell me their opinions on biology, sociology and media studies as options for a levels

ReputationRep:
    What do you want to do in the future? Career wise I mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fazzy_77)
    What do you want to do in the future? Career wise I mean
    I want to study psychology at uni to go on to be a clinical psychologist especially for teenagers

ReputationRep:
    When choosing A levels, there is a common trap that people fall into where they spread themselves too thinly. If you know what you want to do at uni, I advise reading the prospectus to see what is required or if there are any recommended courses to take to gain a better standing in applying. Failing that, just try and find subjects that complement each other (science with maths, English with social sciences/drama, etc.) to maximise your prospects in a more specific area. Good luck either way!

Edit: saw you wanted to study Psychology. It might be worth ditching media studies or only doing it as an AS and following through on biology, sociology, and psychology to maximise your personal experience within the field. Also, check if your school/college runs a placement programme- ours runs a hospital volunteer scheme which would count as relevant work experience!

ReputationRep:
    do chemistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honeybutter)
    I want to study psychology at uni to go on to be a psychologist especially for teenagers
    these are perfectly acceptable a levels as there tend to be no specific requirements for a psychology degree. bear in mind that a couple of top unis (notably Oxbridge) like to see two facilitating subjects but unless you are applying to those unis it's a non issue and your a levels choices are fine. I'm assuming your school does not offer psychology a level, although this is no obstacle to doing a course in psychology at uni.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polinaa)
    do chemistry
    i prefer biology

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing Biology Chemistry and Physics and i'd say tht Biology has sooo much content to memorise but i overall enjoy learning some aspects whereas other topics are less enjoyable

ReputationRep:
    I want to study psychology at uni to go on to be a clinical psychologist especially for teenagers
    Why don't you study psychology at A Level? Your choices aren't great for a psychology degree?

Ideally, you would do Maths, Psychology and Biology.

ReputationRep:
    i prefer biology
    nah i meant instead of one of the other ones

ReputationRep:
    ology
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    Why don't you study psychology at A Level? Your choices aren't great for a psychology degree?

Ideally, you would do Maths, Psychology and Biology.
    so do you think psychology biology and sociology would be better i struggle at maths by the way

ReputationRep:
    Some unis require maths for that and don't see media studies as a facilitating subject. So your choices will limit your university options.

ReputationRep:
    ology so do you think psychology biology and sociology would be better
    Yes, certainly.

You would've already covered bits of BSc topics at A Level, so it would make the degree easier too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alextheowl)
    Some unis require maths for that and don't see media studies as a facilitating subject. So your choices will limit your university options.
    thats true thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aesthete1)
    these are perfectly acceptable a levels as there tend to be no specific requirements for a psychology degree. bear in mind that a couple of top unis (notably Oxbridge) like to see two facilitating subjects but unless you are applying to those unis it's a non issue and your a levels choices are fine. I'm assuming your school does not offer psychology a level, although this is no obstacle to doing a course in psychology at uni.
    thank you and they do offer psychology but i thought cause its not required for the degree why dont i do something i like seeing as biology is alot of work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barror1)
    When choosing A levels, there is a common trap that people fall into where they spread themselves too thinly. If you know what you want to do at uni, I advise reading the prospectus to see what is required or if there are any recommended courses to take to gain a better standing in applying. Failing that, just try and find subjects that complement each other (science with maths, English with social sciences/drama, etc.) to maximise your prospects in a more specific area. Good luck either way!

Edit: saw you wanted to study Psychology. It might be worth ditching media studies or only doing it as an AS and following through on biology, sociology, and psychology to maximise your personal experience within the field. Also, check if your school/college runs a placement programme- ours runs a hospital volunteer scheme which would count as relevant work experience!
    ill definitely check thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    Can everyone tell me their opinions on biology, sociology and media studies as options for a levels
    Not media studies. Your first job is to get into a good course.

Clinical is very competitive and I think you need to do a psychology degree at a Russell Group type university. They will ask for AAA at A level probably, so make sure you pick subjects you can realistically get that in. it's not much different from doing medicine. It is 6 years of study in total.

You need a 2.1 or preferably a 1st from your degree.

ReputationRep:
    Your choices seem ok but if I were you then i would consider changing media studies to psychology. And are you sure about biology because it has a lot of content in it.

ReputationRep:
    ology so do you think psychology biology and sociology would be better i struggle at maths by the way
    I currently do psychology, biology and sociology and I'm year 12.

I'd recommend psychology especially if you want to do it at uni.
    Sociology is a good subject to do too.
    Biology is very difficult, but psychology at uni involves a lot of biology as far as I know so it MAY help.

Also make sure you get a decent maths grade at GCSE! Some unis want at least a B (luckily I got a 6 last year).

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.