The Student Room Group

Full time English student - but with terrible handwriting.

Heyo. I'm an A-level student doing 3 essay based A-levels, which are English Language, English Literature, and History. They were my best subjects during GCSE, and I was hoping this problem would slowly subside as I wrote more essays, but it seems to have persisted...

Essentially, my handwriting is terrible, and it has been ever since I started back in primary school. Of course, it's gotten better since then, but it still isn't really good enough for someone that writes this much. I've started practicing my handwriting and trying to improve it, but to little long-term avail.

Are there any good and effective methods to help improve handwriting? Is it worth using certain pens to help with grip or neatness? Is there some sort of special hand posture I'm doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.

P. S - I'm a left hander.
Can you read your handwriting easily? Can others?

If yes to both, it doesn't matter.
I wouldn't worry about it, there’s not much you can do aside from writing more slowly.
Have you tried going back to basics and doing those handwriting trace exercises over and over again? Might help?
Reply 4
no double posts for me, thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Notoriety
Can you read your handwriting easily? Can others?

If yes to both, it doesn't matter.

I can read it easily because I'm used to it. Other people have to read my work slowly and frequently misinterpret my words, though.

Original post by Andrew97
I wouldn't worry about it, there’s not much you can do aside from writing more slowly.

In as professional scenario, this is what I usually do, but in an exam, I don't have the time. Hell, outside of exams, I feel like I don't have the time. That's sort of why I want to solve this issue.

Original post by Elliwhi
Have you tried going back to basics and doing those handwriting trace exercises over and over again? Might help?

I have tried stuff like this before and I find it's only had a short effect on my writing. What I write immediately after is good, but much later and there's no real difference. I'll keep trying with this one, though.
Original post by munchm_
I have tried stuff like this before and I find it's only had a short effect on my writing. What I write immediately after is good, but much later and there's no real difference. I'll keep trying with this one, though.

Maybe you should try doing it for longer so that after some time you have long term muscle memory?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending