Turn on thread page Beta

6ft weighing 53kg, help on getting healthy watch

So I'm 6ft tall but only weigh 53kg , ideally I should weigh within the range of 72kg-89kg. This puts me at best 19kg underweight. I've spoken to doctors and been tested for diabetes, anaemia and other conditions but have tested negative for them all. I can tell my weight is taking a toll on my health, I get poor sleep, have a hard time concentrating , constantly feel tired regardless of how much I sleep as well as having a poor appetite. My doctor tells me I have a very fast metabolism but I know many people with fast metabolisms who seem to be a healthy weight. I wanted to know any advice that could help me put on weight, maybe some medication, exercise routines, diet plans, etc. By August if possible I'd like to be 72kg so I'm healthy.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I'm 6ft tall but only weigh 53kg , ideally I should weigh within the range of 72kg-89kg. This puts me at best 19kg underweight. I've spoken to doctors and been tested for diabetes, anaemia and other conditions but have tested negative for them all. I can tell my weight is taking a toll on my health, I get poor sleep, have a hard time concentrating , constantly feel tired regardless of how much I sleep as well as having a poor appetite. My doctor tells me I have a very fast metabolism but I know many people with fast metabolisms who seem to be a healthy weight. I wanted to know any advice that could help me put on weight, maybe some medication, exercise routines, diet plans, etc. By August if possible I'd like to be 72kg so I'm healthy.

Thanks
    Follow a strict meal plan, there should he recipes online to follow.

ReputationRep:
    What do you eat usually?
    Do you exercise?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone (physically capable) ought to do at least 30 mins cardio a day, that's pretty standard.

What you need to do is bulk up. Increase both your calorific, and nutritious intake and strength train.

Home cooked meals, made with fresh, raw, nutritious (preferably in season) ingredients. Make hot meals in bulk, and freeze the majority in potion sized freezer bags. Check Jamie Oliver's 15 minute meals. Eating 6 small snack sized meals a day, would be one than one or two larger ones. Ensure you always eat (mostly slow burning, high complex carb) breakfast, no later than an hour after waking.

Strength train with free weights, using dumbbells over barbells, (and certainly machines), when possible, as this strengthens stabilizing muscles, which machines fix range of motion does not. Join a gym, hire a personal trainer for a few sessions to learn proper form for whole-body compound moves; stick to squats, dead-lifts, incline bench, standing military press, bent over rows, trapezium pull-ups, body-weight pull ups (machine assisted initially if need be). No need for endless isolation exercises until 2-3 yrs foundation building, imho.

Cut out or reduce as much as able; alcohol, caffeine (or at least after midday), simple carbs (white sugar, white flour) processed / junk food. Quit smoking, or at least switch to vapes, or nicotine replacement (patches, lozenges etc.)

Relax. Try to get at least 8-9hrs quality, deep, restful sleep a night. Try wearing ear plus to bed, and get blackout' curtains.

Buy some cheap body composition scales. Weigh you self each morning, post 'toilet', naked, pre-shower, pre-breakfast. Record weight, % bodyfat, % skeletal muscle. Chart running average of 7 days. Expect bodyfat to increase, if gaining muscle-mass on a bulking diet. Once happier with physical transformation, try slowly reducing calorific intake. Find the sweet-spot were skeletal muscle mass %is still improving (all be it at a slower rate), whilst body-fat mass % increase slows down, stops, and hopefully starts to decrease. Aim for at least <15%.

Good luck :sleep: :eating: :dumbells: :eating: :sleep:

Did they check your bowel and your inflammation markers? My brother has IBD and had the same problem . He was without symptoms for years.
    The other symptoms you describe sometimes "show" depression.
    Did you always have poor appetite?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.