Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just curious as what the lowest grade people have achieved whilst at uni?
    (Year and Credit Weight of grade)
    Mine was a 3rd in First Year (20 credits so not that much luckily) - just completely misunderstood the essay question haha
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I took extra modules (30 credits extra in first and second year). In one I didn’t do the coursework (was on a field trip for a core module) so got 25% for the (2nd yr 15 credit) module overall:flute:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I got a only-just-passed grade in one of my pieces of coursework for my masters last year :cry2: I just didn't understand what they were looking for.

That was one of the most difficult things about doing a masters - no time to experiment or learn. Take advantage of that first year not counting to figure stuff out :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Damn did it affect your overall grade by much??

ReputationRep:
    I had a 2:2 three times in modules. Still managed to come out with a 1st overall :lol:

ReputationRep:
    What is your secret?? Were these grades you got in second or third year? I’m in my final year and have two modules I feel useless at and I think they’ll be my lowest grades but I still want to come out with a 2:1 or above!

ReputationRep:
    38% in one of my 2nd year essays. The lecturer told us that she didn't want to read 40 similar essays (there was only one essay question), so she told us to take risks and think of a more interesting approach. I tried to, and guess what...

I later found out that everyone else had done the bog-standard approach and passed. Typical!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Lily048)
    Damn did it affect your overall grade by much??
    I don't know if you were replying to me or not, but... yeah it did :cry2: :lol: It is okay though, I made my peace with it :bunny:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    38% in one of my 2nd year essays. The lecturer told us that she didn't want to read 40 similar essays (there was only one essay question), so she told us to take risks and think of a more interesting approach. I tried to, and guess what...

I later found out that everyone else had done the bog-standard approach and passed. Typical!
    :console: I feel you. We got to chose our own essay titles. I picked a more abstract topic, then got told off for being too abstract. :nothing:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm only in my second year so I guess I don't really count. But my lowest grade so far was in my first year, had a Literature Review to do and it was the first piece of academic writing I'd ever done. I think it was worth 30% overall for my unit and I got 66% in it. Ended with 74% overall in the unit (had a 20% coursework and a 50% exam besides the 30% lit review) and to date it is my only grade under 70%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    I don't know if you were replying to me or not, but... yeah it did :cry2: :lol: It is okay though, I made my peace with it :bunny:
    Sorry man, what did you come out with overall if you don’t mind me asking? Slightly worried now that’ll I’ll get brought down by a low grade this year 😩
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Sorry man, what did you come out with overall if you don’t mind me asking? Slightly worried now that’ll I’ll get brought down by a low grade this year 😩
    My grade was "distinction in the dissertation". But that was because of the way to grading system at that uni worked - you have to get a distinction average accross all coursework and also separately in the dissertation to be awarded an overall dinstinction. :yy: Remember that was for a masters not undergrad so slightly different.

Please don't worry!! :woo: You will be fine. :bl: What are you averaging right now?

ReputationRep:
    My grade was "distinction in the dissertation". But that was because of the way to grading system at that uni worked - you have to get a distinction average accross all coursework and also separately in the dissertation to be awarded an overall dinstinction. So although my GPA was juuuuuuuuuust high enough to be a distinction, I didn't quite get there in the coursework. :yy: Remember that was for a masters not undergrad so slightly different.

Please don't worry!! :woo: You will be fine. :bl: What are you averaging right now?
    Oh right okay! I’m a final year undergrad so I got a mid 2:1 second year (worth 20% of my degree) and I haven’t got any grades back so far this year Bar 20% of my dissertation mark which was a 1st, I’ve got 3 x 3000 word reports as well this year and 1 exam, but I’ve always got rubbish grades in exams (low 2:1, high 2:2 normally) 😞
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Oh right okay! I’m a final year undergrad so I got a mid 2:1 second year (worth 20% of my degree) and I haven’t got any grades back so far this year Bar 20% of my dissertation mark which was a 1st, I’ve got 3 x 3000 word reports as well this year and 1 exam, but I’ve always got rubbish grades in exams (low 2:1, high 2:2 normally) 😞
    Have you checked how your course handles borderline marks? Some universities will bump up to a first people with 67% of higher (based on various criteria) while others have rules and will not award a first to someone with 75% overall if they didn't get a first in a specific number of modules.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Do you get specific exam feedback? Is there a way for you to talk this through with a lecturer?

ReputationRep:
    Do you get specific exam feedback? Is there a way for you to talk this through with a lecturer?
    Ironically I did just ask for help today - but the guy who teaches it is a strange one, so he doesn’t like to give anything away in the hope that’ll make people think outside the box - it’s sociology so that figures!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Have you checked how your course handles borderline marks? Some universities will bump up to a first people with 67% of higher (based on various criteria) while others have rules and will not award a first to someone with 75% overall if they didn't get a first in a specific number of modules.
    It doesn’t say how it’s weighted in terms of each specific module but it does say some areas are weighted more than others, and I think they’ll always award the highest mark of that band - eg if you get a high 2:1 it’ll be 69% regardless of what you get if that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    I got 20-something in one my second year exams, I had EC's though

ReputationRep:
    My grade was "distinction in the dissertation". But that was because of the way to grading system at that uni worked - you have to get a distinction average accross all coursework and also separately in the dissertation to be awarded an overall dinstinction. So although my GPA was juuuuuuuuuust high enough to be a distinction, I didn't quite get there in the coursework. :yy: Remember that was for a masters not undergrad so slightly different.

Ohhh right okay! Blimey I can see why it was all a bit stressful!
    Annoyingly I’ve only had one minor piece of work graded so far this year so that’s all I have to go off, which was a 1st so that’s good, but it was only a very minor piece of work. I got a mid 2:1 second year, so I assume I’m working at that sort of grade again (hopefully better!) but it’s soooo hard to tell at this point (mid deadlines) 😂

ReputationRep:
    Lowest mark for an essay was 59% in my first year (still passed the module with a mid 60 thou thanks to the exam!), while my lowest module mark was a 60 in my second year (the module had the highest failure rate of any in my year group).

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.