Turn on thread page Beta

how can i get this guy to leave me alone watch

Before I started uni this year, I joined my course chat to get to know some people. A guy pm'd me and was talking to me, he seemed friendly so I kept chatting with him. Once I got to uni I found a nice group of friends and this guy was starting to get annoying constantly messaging me, and he sort of tried to join my group of friends.

He would always ask me out but not explicitly stating it was a date so I couldn't say i wasn't interested, i just made excuses. Eventually I got a mutual friend to tell him to just tell me he had feelings for me so that I could say i didn't feel the same. He seemed fine about it but now seems to think we are really close friends.

He constantly invites himself along to things I'm going to. For example, a facebook event I selected "going" to and he messaged me a few hours later "so who are we going with?" like wtf?

We really don't have common interests, and honestly he really grosses me out and I don't feel comfortable around him at all. If I try and distance myself from him by not replying to my messages he starts asking all my friends why I'm not talking to him.

I feel like I've gotten myself too deep into this "friendship" now and idk how to get out of it. I never knew it would get to this point which is why I continued being friendly to him, I thought he would find friends once we got to uni and move on.

Idk what to do please help
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Before I started uni this year, I joined my course chat to get to know some people. A guy pm'd me and was talking to me, he seemed friendly so I kept chatting with him. Once I got to uni I found a nice group of friends and this guy was starting to get annoying constantly messaging me, and he sort of tried to join my group of friends.

He would always ask me out but not explicitly stating it was a date so I couldn't say i wasn't interested, i just made excuses. Eventually I got a mutual friend to tell him to just tell me he had feelings for me so that I could say i didn't feel the same. He seemed fine about it but now seems to think we are really close friends.

He constantly invites himself along to things I'm going to. For example, a facebook event I selected "going" to and he messaged me a few hours later "so who are we going with?" like wtf?

We really don't have common interests, and honestly he really grosses me out and I don't feel comfortable around him at all. If I try and distance myself from him by not replying to my messages he starts asking all my friends why I'm not talking to him.

I feel like I've gotten myself too deep into this "friendship" now and idk how to get out of it. I never knew it would get to this point which is why I continued being friendly to him, I thought he would find friends once we got to uni and move on.

Idk what to do please help
    Various ways. You can be brutal and tell him.
    You can be firm and just ask him not to crowd you so much.
    You can cool on him.

If you were in control then just a slow distancing and paying less attention might be normal.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.