Turn on thread page Beta

Does anyone know why I had genital al warts and my partner didn't? even though I've only ever had sex with him?
    I know that he could have had the virus all along, but not long after I had them, he started getting them as well which makes me look the guilty one.
    This happened over a year ago but it's still making me really depressed as he often questions whether it was me that gave him genital warts, but surely that's impossible if I've only ever had to sex with him (where as he's had sex with other people before and after me).
    I just don't understand how he never had warts, I got them and then he got them not long afterwards!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    HPV is the virus that causes warts and it doesn't always do so soon after infection. So you can have it without any symptoms until they appear. Sometimes they never do and your body gets rid of it without you ever knowing you had it.

It also comes in dozens of strains, and it's possible to have one that normally produces warts on, say, the hands end up causing some around the genitals.

Other strains are associated with things like cervical cancer - particularly the ones girls are now vaccinated against - but the warts are basically just a cosmetic problem.

ReputationRep:
    The other, lower possibility is that one of you has inherited a disease from your mother and have always lived with it. Diseases like herpes often appear and disappear over the course of a lifetime, so if neither of you has a history of this sort of thing, this is unlikely. Assuming you don't take drugs like heroine where needle sharing is an issue (pretty much all STDs can also be spread by infecting your blood with someone else's), and you haven't had any shots with used needles or infected blood transfusions (both of these are ridiculously unlikely in developed countries), it very well could be a cosmetic problem. If you have any serious concerns, your best bet is to make a visit to your GP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ybordag)
    The other, lower possibility is that one of you has inherited a disease from your mother and have always lived with it. Diseases like herpes often appear and disappear over the course of a lifetime, so if neither of you has a history of this sort of thing, this is unlikely. Assuming you don't take drugs like heroine where needle sharing is an issue (pretty much all STDs can also be spread by infecting your blood with someone else's), and you haven't had any shots with used needles or infected blood transfusions (both of these are ridiculously unlikely in developed countries), it very well could be a cosmetic problem. If you have any serious concerns, your best bet is to make a visit to your GP.
    Genital warts are caused by a virus. You can't "inherit" the virus, it is spread by skin-to-skin contact. And no, not "pretty much all STDs can be spread by infecting your blood with someone else's".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black tea)
    Genital warts are caused by a virus. You can't "inherit" the virus, it is spread by skin-to-skin contact. And no, not "pretty much all STDs can be spread by infecting your blood with someone else's".
    Actually you can. Assuming a vaginal birth, if your mother has a flare up of her virus, there is a strong likelihood you can get it from her. It means, that even though you were never sexually active, you can still 'inherit' a viral disease from your mother by coming in contact with her infected fistulae at birth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ybordag)
    Actually you can. Assuming a vaginal birth, if your mother has a flare up of her virus, there is a strong likelihood you can get it from her. It means, that even though you were never sexually active, you can still 'inherit' a viral disease from your mother by coming in contact with her infected fistulae at birth.
    So that would not be "inheriting" then, that would acquiring through skin to skin contact. And what do genital warts have to do with fistulae?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.