Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I stop hiding my true personality/interests from my parents? watch

Announcements

I dunno why but I find it so embarrassing to share with my parents my true interests and passions as a person.

For example I told my parents when I was young I hated music but since I’ve become avid fan of loads of music - electronic, rock, punk, indie, some hip hop. I really want to go to some gigs and buy clothing items associated with artists but as I’ve put this act on that I hate music I feel embarrassed to do the things I want to do like get tickets to gigs in case my family judge me for backtracking.

Another example would be dating - like I’ve used some dating apps and have matched with people that I would like to meet with but I told my parents adamantly a while back that I don’t want a relationship for a long time yet even though deep down I feel ready, so I can’t really arrange to meet people because I feel embarrassed about revealing my true desires away to my family.

I just don’t know what to do - it feels like I’m leading a double life. I can’t be my true self around my family because I feel embarrassed to backtrack on things I’ve been adamant on in the past.

Do I continue leading this double life and lie to my parents to do the things I want to do and continue to keep myself to myself no matter how hard it is? Or do I somehow reveal my true identity to them and face the embarrassment? Thanks a lot your help means a lot!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I dunno why but I find it so embarrassing to share with my parents my true interests and passions as a person.

For example I told my parents when I was young I hated music but since I’ve become avid fan of loads of music - electronic, rock, punk, indie, some hip hop. I really want to go to some gigs and buy clothing items associated with artists but as I’ve put this act on that I hate music I feel embarrassed to do the things I want to do like get tickets to gigs in case my family judge me for backtracking.

Another example would be dating - like I’ve used some dating apps and have matched with people that I would like to meet with but I told my parents adamantly a while back that I don’t want a relationship for a long time yet even though deep down I feel ready, so I can’t really arrange to meet people because I feel embarrassed about revealing my true desires away to my family.

I just don’t know what to do - it feels like I’m leading a double life. I can’t be my true self around my family because I feel embarrassed to backtrack on things I’ve been adamant on in the past.

Do I continue leading this double life and lie to my parents to do the things I want to do and continue to keep myself to myself no matter how hard it is? Or do I somehow reveal my true identity to them and face the embarrassment? Thanks a lot your help means a lot!
    Keep being yourself and tell your parents your interests, they may not agree with them or think they're funny / silly but at the end of the day you should never feel like you need to hide who you are from your family.

Your parents will just have to accept you for you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure they won't expect you to keep the exact same mindset throughout your life, they're your parents, like known you forever. You most likely told them you wanted to be a fireman or astronaut, they're not laughing at you now cuz you've developed and now understand yourself more. You should be happy to share with them about how you've found what you enjoy, and you should enjoy it

Thanks for the replies and your opinions. Part of me just wants to open up myself to them, but I’m worried they’d view me completely different to the child they thought they’d have. I just want to be able to do the things that make me happy and not feel my family judge me or even get involved in my personal business. I feel they always want to get into my personal business too much and it has the effect of keeping myself even more private... it’s hard to keep lying all the time but I’ve got such a fear of how they’ll treat me different and continue to get involved in my life - I want to independence and I want my own identity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Just tell them. You are just being a bit silly!

ReputationRep:
    People change all the time, interests change all the time. It's fine. Everyone goes through stages where they change, especially when young.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone hides things from their parents, and if they say they don't they are lying. But of course you will change over time, it isn't strange for that to happen.

ReputationRep:
    no need to really tell them do it, don't hide until they notice that you changed something, they might not Even remember 😕
    this is exactly why i specially decided to never lie again in my life because it just it just follows your a$$

just be direct.
    son: hey dad this is my gf.
    dad: that's my boooy!....wait didn't you say you hated relationships?
    son: changed my mind.
    done.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.