Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I took a gap year after sixthform to work and build some experience around the course I would be studying.

Now, that I’m going university in sept’18 I’m worried that I won’t make any friends. I’m happy talking to everyone and communicating, however I’m afraid that I won’t make any actual friends && remain a loner? I know that making friends isn’t the reason why I’m going university, but having a social life will make my university experience better.

ReputationRep:
    Take a packet of biscuits with you on move in day, then after the parents have left, go around offering them with your new flat mates as an excuse to talk to them, and things will roll from there. Also, join societies and you’ll meet like-minded people with similar interests to yourself
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potato456)
    Take a packet of biscuits with you on move in day, then after the parents have left, go around offering them with your new flat mates as an excuse to talk to them, and things will roll from there. Also, join societies and you’ll meet like-minded people with similar interests to yourself
    I’m commuting from home.. i love that Idea but I don’t know if it’ll work for me. Societies sound but, how on earth do you join one🤦🏾*♀️

ReputationRep:
    Just have confidence and have fun, say whatever you're thinking and know it doesn't matter if no one likes you because you're happy with yourself anyway.

Makes you come across as genuine and you'll make friends easily with people who like you for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymousxo98)
    I’m commuting from home.. i love that Idea but I don’t know if it’ll work for me. Societies sound but, how on earth do you join one🤦🏾*♀️
    Ahh joining will be easy - they should hold a freshers fair and all the clubs and societies will be there. Maybe enquire if your uni does a day beforehand for commuters? Or uni does this - it’s a day a week before freshers so that people living at home and commutig can get to know each other before everyone else arrives.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Just have confidence and have fun, say whatever you're thinking and know it doesn't matter if no one likes you because you're happy with yourself anyway.

Makes you come across as genuine and you'll make friends easily with people who like you for you.
    I could do that, but then people may find me “annoying” or “over-confident.” But, thankyou! I guess people will have to like me for whoI am.🤷🏽*♀️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potato456)
    Ahh joining will be easy - they should hold a freshers fair and all the clubs and societies will be there. Maybe enquire if your uni does a day beforehand for commuters? Or uni does this - it’s a day a week before freshers so that people living at home and commutig can get to know each other before everyone else arrives.
    Thank you for replying & for the advice. I thought freshers was for drinking and what not..? Something I don’t do?¿? Can I join societies after Freshsrs?

ReputationRep:
    I could do that, but then people may find me “annoying” or “over-confident.” But, thankyou! I guess people will have to like me for whoI am.🤷🏽*♀️
    ye it doesn't matter though, you can't control whether people like you or not it will just give you anxiety. And it's really unfullfilling having fake friends.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for replying & for the advice. I thought freshers was for drinking and what not..? Something I don’t do?¿? Can I join societies after Freshsrs?
    Fresher's comprises of a range of events for both drinkers and non-drinkers, including the Fresher's Fair (where societies advertise themselves).

You can join a society any time you like through the year, and most societies have taster sessions where you can see what they're like and what kind of people you'll meet!

Just remember that most people are more or less in the same boat, in an unfamiliar environment and nervous about making friends. Just be friendly, take up opportunities to meet people and you'll make friends in no time!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.