Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So i am currently studying 3 A levels and a UAL level 3 diploma in art and design, im aiming for a BBB in my a levels but i ave doubts about one of them. I've also applied to study an art and design foundation diploma next year too, so i was just wondering would 2 A-Levels, a Level 3 diploma and a foundation diploma be enough to get into a degree for something like animation or Games art?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Cyanide_121)
    So i am currently studying 3 A levels and a UAL level 3 diploma in art and design, im aiming for a BBB in my a levels but i ave doubts about one of them. I've also applied to study an art and design foundation diploma next year too, so i was just wondering would 2 A-Levels, a Level 3 diploma and a foundation diploma be enough to get into a degree for something like animation or Games art?
    You need to make an informal enquiry to the unis you are interested in to see if they will allow that. They may do because its in a relevant subject and you will probably need a good portfolio as well.

Having looked at it, then I think you will be k as your level 3 is worth UCAS points.

http://www.arts.ac.uk/about-ual/awar...n-art--design/

Qualifications at a glance.

Example Computer animation at Bournemouth requires 120, which is c
    3x B.

https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study...ion-art-design

Entry requirements:

For 2018 entry: 120-128 tariff points including a minimum of 2 A-levels, including 40 points in a required subject. BTEC Extended Diploma: DDM in a required subject.

You just need to do the research, find the courses and then make informal enquiries. I think you will be ok.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    There’s a handful of courses that insist on 3 A levels plus a foundation diploma. They’re generally fine art degrees in older/traditional universities. For animation/games art you should be fine. It’s worth trying your best to get 3 A levels though - some employers can be less understanding of art qualifications, and if you find that the foundation diploma puts you off studying art full time at degree level (some people lose their mojo and decide to take a more academic route instead) then 3 A levels is going to give you a better backup.

ReputationRep:
    That's good advice. Also a lot of Foundation courses are very geared up to produce fine art / applied arts type students (which is what they are designed for) and might not be directly useful to someone who wants to study animation / games art. Traditionally they were useful because they were somewhere that would teach life drawing (essential for animation and games art), and also provide lots of different art experiences to help those who were unsure of their future direction and hadn't had a chance to try a variety of art / craft techniques at school. Sadly many do not seem to teach life drawing anymore, so if you can get that privately or in school / college, and you know you want to study animation / games art, get a portfolio together, apply and see what happens. If you don't get accepted at the courses you apply to, then take the foundation course and use it as a year to really maximise the quality of your portfolio (and get enough extra UCAS points to get you entry to anywhere). Having said all this, the quality of your portfolio is the most important aspect - a decent course will want to see your work and won't let you in if your grades are wonderful but your artwork isn't... get drawing and keep doing it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moid)
    That's good advice. Also a lot of Foundation courses are very geared up to produce fine art / applied arts type students (which is what they are designed for) and might not be directly useful to someone who wants to study animation / games art. Traditionally they were useful because they were somewhere that would teach life drawing (essential for animation and games art), and also provide lots of different art experiences to help those who were unsure of their future direction and hadn't had a chance to try a variety of art / craft techniques at school. Sadly many do not seem to teach life drawing anymore, so if you can get that privately or in school / college, and you know you want to study animation / games art, get a portfolio together, apply and see what happens. If you don't get accepted at the courses you apply to, then take the foundation course and use it as a year to really maximise the quality of your portfolio (and get enough extra UCAS points to get you entry to anywhere). Having said all this, the quality of your portfolio is the most important aspect - a decent course will want to see your work and won't let you in if your grades are wonderful but your artwork isn't... get drawing and keep doing it
    Thank you so much this was very helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    There’s a handful of courses that insist on 3 A levels plus a foundation diploma. They’re generally fine art degrees in older/traditional universities. For animation/games art you should be fine. It’s worth trying your best to get 3 A levels though - some employers can be less understanding of art qualifications, and if you find that the foundation diploma puts you off studying art full time at degree level (some people lose their mojo and decide to take a more academic route instead) then 3 A levels is going to give you a better backup.
    Thank you for the advice!!!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Cyanide_121)
    Hi Cyanide_121,

Depending on where you want to go the requirements will differ but I have found that art and design BA courses usually look at your portfolio to see if you would be suited for their course. At Ravensbourne give importance to your passion, which we see during interviews and your portfolio. Doing a foundation will help you build your portfolio but I also recommend going out and starting your own independent projects as well as looking for internships. If you do these things than your portfolio will be stronger and the interviewer will see that you are passionate about the subjects.

If you haven't heard of us before I thought you might like to see our BA Animation and BA Games Design course. We are located in North Greenwich next to the O2 and are industry focused to get you a job at the end. Being a design and media university you will be able to work on collaborative projects with other courses as well as working on live briefs.

I would recommend coming to one of our open days to find out more information as well as look around the building since our building is open plan. It will also be a great opportunity to go to our portfolio workshops to get advice and tips.

I hope this was helpful and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Row

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.