Turn on thread page Beta

20 and very lonely... Just started college, how do I start making friends? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've just started college, and Im on a course (functional skills English and math, starting GCSEs for both this year as well) with mostly older people that keep themselves to themselves. Honestly, I dont think they share much common ground with me anyway as Ive tried talking to them and they weren't that interested.

Thing is, Im feeling pretty lonely at the moment. Im finding it very difficult. Ive had to dump my previous circle of friends after finding out they were toxic people. What upsets me the most is the fact that Ive spent my entire life having to cut social ties with toxic people.

I've been through 2 years of unrelenting horrific hell, and no one along the way (other than my immediate family) has ever stopped to say: "woah, that must of been awful! Are you coping OK?". They make out like theyve been through far worse and that I shouldnt be feeling that bad. It doesnt exactly help me validate how I feel about everything thats happened. I have to keep reminding myself that how Im feeling is normal.

Im fine in class, but once Im out, I usually go to the canteen and just sit there with a drink for like half an hour while I go over my notes. Makes me feel pretty lonely that Ive got no one to talk to at all. I guess I should maybe try talking to somoene who looks like theyre on their own? I dunno, Ive been told to do that but Im worried Id just end up annoying whoever I try and talk to.

Ive got so much going on in my life right now that Id love to share, and equally so much going on that Id really like to vent about. It just feels so isolating. I do have 1 friend, but honestly, she doesnt really care about what goes on in my life.

The moment I start talking even a little bit about something thats going on with me, she shifts the attention onto herself and starts going on about how shes got it so much worse. (which given my situation, is pretty *****y. Having said that, a lot of people do this!)

Any advice?

I volunteer at an animal rescue already and Im involved in my local political party, none have thrown up any social opportunities for me. (everyone Ive met so far is happy/wants to keep our relationship on the premises rather than actually meet up or even talk online...) Im also trying to start attending demonstrations too, but that can be a bit tricky as finance is *very* tight.

Its not like I dont get out there! It doesnt put me off, Il keep going, but some nights I feel like Il be alone forever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ACollins9)
    I've just started college, and Im on a course (functional skills English and math, starting GCSEs for both this year as well) with mostly older people that keep themselves to themselves. Honestly, I dont think they share much common ground with me anyway as Ive tried talking to them and they weren't that interested.

Thing is, Im feeling pretty lonely at the moment. Im finding it very difficult. Ive had to dump my previous circle of friends after finding out they were toxic people. What upsets me the most is the fact that Ive spent my entire life having to cut social ties with toxic people.

I've been through 2 years of unrelenting horrific hell, and no one along the way (other than my immediate family) has ever stopped to say: "woah, that must of been awful! Are you coping OK?". They make out like theyve been through far worse and that I shouldnt be feeling that bad. It doesnt exactly help me validate how I feel about everything thats happened. I have to keep reminding myself that how Im feeling is normal.

Im fine in class, but once Im out, I usually go to the canteen and just sit there with a drink for like half an hour while I go over my notes. Makes me feel pretty lonely that Ive got no one to talk to at all. I guess I should maybe try talking to somoene who looks like theyre on their own? I dunno, Ive been told to do that but Im worried Id just end up annoying whoever I try and talk to.

Ive got so much going on in my life right now that Id love to share, and equally so much going on that Id really like to vent about. It just feels so isolating. I do have 1 friend, but honestly, she doesnt really care about what goes on in my life.

The moment I start talking even a little bit about something thats going on with me, she shifts the attention onto herself and starts going on about how shes got it so much worse. (which given my situation, is pretty *****y. Having said that, a lot of people do this!)

Any advice?

I volunteer at an animal rescue already and Im involved in my local political party, none have thrown up any social opportunities for me. (everyone Ive met so far is happy/wants to keep our relationship on the premises rather than actually meet up or even talk online...) Im also trying to start attending demonstrations too, but that can be a bit tricky as finance is *very* tight.

Its not like I dont get out there! It doesnt put me off, Il keep going, but some nights I feel like Il be alone forever.
    Personally I think being alone isn't a curse, the growth and knowledge you can achieve on your own is highly looked over, so I don't want you to think that you NEED someone. That being said though, you'll meet people in the most unexpected way. I like the idea of someone being brave and kind enough to approach me if I was on my own (Just don't be weird, be genuine and have a friendly vibe about yourself and should be fine). Another way to meet people would be through social events, I feel like there are societies that do something that interests you e.g. sports, poetry, music etc.

If you need a friend or someone to talk to, please don't hesitate to message me if you need a friend to vent to

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.