Turn on thread page Beta

how to deal with a sexist science teacher watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I REALLY NEED A GUYS POINT OF VIEW,
    Get evidence. Leave your phone recording audio for each lesson.

Speak to the other people in your class, see if any of them would be willing to go on record if you were to proceed.

Speak to your principal again and tell him that you have evidence of unacceptable teacher attitude.

If nothing seems to happen, contact your school's governors. Failing that Ofsted would happily accept your report.

If (but being constantly skeptical I have to put "if") a fraction of what you say is true, he needs disciplining.

I am not saying this just as a man, but also as a teacher.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    I REALLY NEED A GUYS POINT OF VIEW, WHY ARE YOU GUYS (SOME) SEXIST AND HOW DO I HELP IT? My science teacher is constantly telling me and the other woman in our class that we should be at home cooking and cleaning, that there will never be any successful woman bc all we care about is being a slut to impress the guys at school, he has even gone as far to say that women deserved to be raped and beaten up because we never know our place, and that we all need to be aware that we are only here to satisfy mens needs, that all women do is cry and that the world was a better place before we were able to vote. He also is always complaining how women try to "be like men" by being in the military, science and engineering classes, even though they know they are not as tough and smart as men. The sexist things he says keep getting worse and worse. Don't say go to your principle about it bc trust me i tried i was told to "not take everything so seriously" and was asked if its that time of the month because i am very emotional. And yes you guessed it, my principal is a guy and just as sexist. I really wanna be a scientist when i grow up but i feel like my teacher is ruining my chances, and holding me back and giving me a lesser of an education than others, simply because im a woman.
    I want to second the suggestions in escalating the situation so as to expose this teacher, and fully second Pigster's comment.

The things this teacher says are clearly inappropriate, sexist, and verge on hate speech--which, as someone correctly pointed out in this thread, is illegal in the UK.

Let me say as well--there is no reason you should have to listen to this sort of baloney. These sort of beliefs have no room in civil society, let alone 2018. Women have been the backbone of many military operations, as well as science and engineering breakthroughs--and have been for as long as men have been doing it as well (it's just that they were heavily discouraged and disadvantaged, and those women who did manage to break through the glass ceiling have been hidden from history). This teacher should be reported and reprimanded--not because you are a "snowflake," but because the more these beliefs are espoused by trusted "professionals" in positions of power, the longer it will take to dispel these beliefs from general society. Research has also shown that hearing these types of beliefs lowers people's self-confidence, even if they are aware of how utter balderdash these kinds of opinions are.

If you want to speak to me further about what it's actually like as a woman in STEM (I am in my Masters year of physics and am currently looking to study an astrophysics PhD), please PM me!

shame them on social media.record it bc that is just unacceptable

ReputationRep:
    This never happened, did it OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Record it. Send it to the press.
    Indeed. Assuming it is true, the OP should have no issue doing this.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, calm down and talk to your parents about it in order to find the best solution to this case. Or talk to your parents about it and persuade them to report to OFSTED about this issue. I seriously don’t think that recording it and sending it to the press would help because at the end of the day OFSTED have a duty to keep an eye out on children’s education in school and the teachers aswell.
    Also, if you think that it’s really affecting you and think that your parents are not understanding, report it to NSPCC. Don’t let this behaviour affect your education. Hope this helps😊
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I REALLY NEED A GUYS POINT OF VIEW, WHY ARE YOU GUYS (SOME) SEXIST AND HOW DO I HELP IT? My science teacher is constantly telling me and the other woman in our class that we should be at home cooking and cleaning, that there will never be any successful woman bc all we care about is being a slut to impress the guys at school, he has even gone as far to say that women deserved to be raped and beaten up because we never know our place, and that we all need to be aware that we are only here to satisfy mens needs, that all women do is cry and that the world was a better place before we were able to vote. He also is always complaining how women try to "be like men" by being in the military, science and engineering classes, even though they know they are not as tough and smart as men. The sexist things he says keep getting worse and worse. Don't say go to your principle about it bc trust me i tried i was told to "not take everything so seriously" and was asked if its that time of the month because i am very emotional. And yes you guessed it, my principal is a guy and just as sexist. I really wanna be a scientist when i grow up but i feel like my teacher is ruining my chances, and holding me back and giving me a lesser of an education than others, simply because im a woman.
    Lol this cannot possibly be true?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    Did you really do that? LOL
    :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haviland-Tuf)
    This never happened, did it OP?
    That's what I was thinking

ReputationRep:
    Contact ofsted or nspcc straight away! They have the power to do something about it. Someone who is in a position of trust of children and justifies rape should lose their job immediately, no question. Secretely record him next time on your phone, put it in your pocket and sit by the front of the class. Then contact ofsted and send the recording. If ofsted doesn't work try nspcc.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I doubt if the press would be interested unless they can get a photo of you and you look attractive in their eyes. Perhaps complain to the chair of Governors if the Head will not take you seriously.

ReputationRep:
    get recordings, otherwise it's your word against his. you need evidence.

This really disgusts me, girl I know you will be a great scientist! If i were you I would perhaps go to a governor of the school or someone that you trust with this. I was going to say if you would even go as far as to think about swapping to a different school but then I thought he shouldn't make you move but instead he needs to move on. Please keep this thread updated, hope all gets better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Record it. Send it to the press.
    I second that.

ReputationRep:
    Is your science teacher muslim by any chance?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Take evidence (like recordings or signed statements by other students) and report it to the board of governors and/ or OFSTEAD. Comments like that have no place in teaching.

ReputationRep:
    stuff that never happened

ReputationRep:
    I can't take this thread seriously, sure teachers can be pricks from time to time but I doubt a teacher will go this far of being a prick and you have't replied to any of the serious suggestions given here.
    And even if this was true let's be honest, some the stuff this guy says are true like women are not as strong as men in general, it's no sexism, it's a fact. Obviously everything this teacher said overall is sexist, like women should stay at home and cook? Come on we are not in the middle ages anymore

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'll admit I'm wrong, I did not read that properly. My bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
    There was here.
    My bad didnt read it properly, I stand corrected

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.