Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you have an unregistered estate and the owner grants an option Purchase for a period of 20 years am I right in thinking it needs to be registered on the land charges act ... ? Also what confuses me is does this mean that it will also trigger first registration ? And if so why would you register it on the land charges act then ? If an estate is registered does it automatically mean that estate contracts are binding .. I am clearly confused ?:/ Could someone please help .. thank you very much ! X

ReputationRep:
    Yes - it's registerable as an estate contract. Have a look at LCA 1972,s.4
    (Original post by Sandz21)
    If you have an unregistered estate and the owner grants an option Purchase for a period of 20 years am I right in thinking it needs to be registered on the land charges act ... ? Also what confuses me is does this mean that it will also trigger first registration ? And if so why would you register it on the land charges act then ? If an estate is registered does it automatically mean that estate contracts are binding .. I am clearly confused ?:/ Could someone please help .. thank you very much ! X

ReputationRep:
    Yes - it's registerable as a Land Charge. The right is equitable and is registrable under LCA 1972, s.2(4)(iv). ('an estate contract is a contract by an estate owner or by a person entitled at the date of the contract to have a legal estate conveyed to him to convey or create a legal estate, including a contract conferring either expressly or by statutory implication a valid option to purchase, a right of pre-emption or any other like right')

The grant of the option won't trigger first registration of the title. These 'events' are in LRA 2002, s.4. An example would be on the sale of the freehold estate.

So the option should be protected by the third party as a LC. If it is registered then is automatically binds a purchaser of the land (LCA 1972, s.198). If it isn't registered then it isn't binding on a purchaser.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 11, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.