The Student Room Group

EO Home Office caseworker- provisional offer?

Hi, just wondered if anyone else was in a similar position and had heard anything.
I initially applied for this role in March 2017, a whole year ago now! I passed the application online, but a few weeks later was emailed and told I’d not been successful in being asked for an interview. Naturally I moved on and forgot about it. Then in November 2017 I received an email from them saying my application had been reconsidered and they would like to invite me for an interview (consisting of times test for 30 mins and then 10 minute face to face interview). I was told on the day I’d passed both rounds, but that didn’t mean an automatic job offer, only that I’d been placed on a ‘merit list’ and I’d be contacted in 3 weeks to be told if I had a job offer or not. 3 weeks later they emailed again to say they couldn’t offer me a job but I’d be placed on a reserve list for 12 months. Then, just 3 weeks after that on 11th January, I was emailed with a provisional offer. I submitted all declaration forms etc that were attached to the email the next day. Then a whole 4 weeks later, I only then received a link to the vetting questionairre, which I filled out and submitted the same day.
I’ve now been waiting almost 8 weeks for a formal offer and a start date. I’m gettin so frustrated now and worrying I won’t ever actually get to start this job!

Anyone have anything similar? Or know anything about this? At the interview I heard the roles started in April, but I’m not sure if that would apply to me as I was on the reserve list for 3 weeks. I’m hoping it does though!

Thanks for reading!

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,
I'm in exactly the same situation. Home office too but for a different role. At my interview they said they wanted someone to start as soon as possible, and yet it's been 3 months.
I chased the vetting people who said that they had essentially done their part and it was back with the employer who makes the final decision or something. And that was 3 weeks ago! So I'd advise maybe contacting the vetting team to find out what the situation is with yours? Then you can go back and chase the appropriate people.
It's a marvel how anyone actually gets hired there given how long it takes them to process new starts. So frustrating! You end up putting your life on hold. Now I'm considering applying for other civil service jobs but then will it just be the same long process anyway 🙄
Good luck and I hope you get some news soon!
Reply 2
I am in exactly the same position. Same dates and everything! I’ve been getting really anxious and frustrated. Never had to wait so long to get a start date. Hopefully we both hear soon!
(edited 6 years ago)
My friend is in the exact situation, except she got offered it initially, so she has been waiting 1 year for it. From what I understand, they're taking on a lot of people and need to do the checks for them all.

If it helps, my other friend got a job in a similar government job, alongside just 4 other people. Interview was November, offer a few days after Christmas, and they didn't start until the end of March. The delay was because they needed to get everybody's paperwork in order first (and sort out checks). If you think about it like that, it makes more sense why this one has taken a while (because they're recruiting on a much larger scale).

Hopefully you'll hear soon though!
Reply 4
I have actually now recieved an email saying absolutely nothing other than to see the attached letter- which says that my security checks and CTC are all complete.

I’m assuming/hoping this means i’ll Hear again from the HO in regards to a start date soon?
Reply 5
Also, hope you all hear soon too! I know what you mean about getting anxious, it’s the dangling and the lack of communication wondering what’s going on! Hopefully we’re all almost there now!
Hey, I’m also in a similar position. Applied in July 2017. Placed on waiting list in September and then received a provisional offer in October. 4 months later I finally received my CTC link. No idea what took them so long to send my CTC link: so currently awaiting for CTC to complete and I know there are others who received offers later than me and have started already! I have no idea in what order they process all applications, Different people are at different stage of the process even though its the same role. I am so close to making other applications as the wait has been so long, but in actual fact, i really want this one to work out soon so I keep reassuring myself time will come and i’ll finally get the email with a start date- no idea when that’ll happen. I know someone who had waited 1 month following completion of CTC and had to chase various people until a start date is given.
Original post by Anonymous
I have actually now recieved an email saying absolutely nothing other than to see the attached letter- which says that my security checks and CTC are all complete.

I’m assuming/hoping this means i’ll Hear again from the HO in regards to a start date soon?

Hey! Also got my security checks through and now apparently the next stage is internal checks. Anyone know what these consist of or how long they might take?!
Reply 8
Hey! Also got my security checks through and now apparently the next stage is internal checks. Anyone know what these consist of or how long they might take?!

I thought the same. This is what they’ve said to me when I’ve emailed- that they’re waiting on confirmation of successful pre-employment checks from the government recruitment services. Which is a bit annoying really as the last update they gave me was that a start date would be issued once they have received confirmation of CTC clearance. They have that now, but now there’s another thing!

Not sure what these checks consist of, I can’t help but wonder why they weren’t done first though before the vetting link was sent to us!

Hopefully we’ll hear very soon. I know of someone in my current job who has been given a start date for this.
Reply 9
Anyone got any updates on their situation? Mine is very similar. Up until yesterday, I had been waiting 10 weeks for my CTC. After sending an enquiry email about it on Wednesday night, I received my clearance the next morning. I’m just dreading having another long wait for a start date! 😢
I’m in exactly the same boat! Applied originally in March 2017 for the AO jobs but wasn’t successful and then invited to interview November 2017. They offered me the job straight after interview but said the start date would be within a year but because of my scores I would hear sooner rather than later. I completed the CTC questionnaire at the beginning of February 2018, it took so long that I emailed to chase it up but was just fobed off with generic ‘we’re waiting for security checks’ emails. Turned out, around 9 weeks later, I was told my CTC form had been deleted in an admin error an I had to complete it again. Finally got my CTC clearance mid April and heard nothing since! It’s the most frustrating recruitment processes I’ve ever been through.
Hi, just wondered if anyone else was in a similar position and had heard anything.
I initially applied for this role in March 2017, a whole year ago now! I passed the application online, but a few weeks later was emailed and told I’d not been successful in being asked for an interview. Naturally I moved on and forgot about it. Then in November 2017 I received an email from them saying my application had been reconsidered and they would like to invite me for an interview (consisting of times test for 30 mins and then 10 minute face to face interview). I was told on the day I’d passed both rounds, but that didn’t mean an automatic job offer, only that I’d been placed on a ‘merit list’ and I’d be contacted in 3 weeks to be told if I had a job offer or not. 3 weeks later they emailed again to say they couldn’t offer me a job but I’d be placed on a reserve list for 12 months. Then, just 3 weeks after that on 11th January, I was emailed with a provisional offer. I submitted all declaration forms etc that were attached to the email the next day. Then a whole 4 weeks later, I only then received a link to the vetting questionairre, which I filled out and submitted the same day.
I’ve now been waiting almost 8 weeks for a formal offer and a start date. I’m gettin so frustrated now and worrying I won’t ever actually get to start this job!

Anyone have anything similar? Or know anything about this? At the interview I heard the roles started in April, but I’m not sure if that would apply to me as I was on the reserve list for 3 weeks. I’m hoping it does though!

Thanks for reading!

exact same story!!!

have you heard anything more recently from them? start date? or timescale ??

i got my CTC back 17-03-2018

still waiting for my pre emp checks to be finalised

6months waiting on a start date :/
Hi!
I’ve been invited to an assessment centre next week for the position of an EO officer for IE and was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up on what to expect for the written test & Interview?
Did anyone ever hear back about their job offer or are you still waiting?

Thanks so much :smile:
Test
Same position here! I got a provisional offer in January - CTC complete a few months ago but nothing on a start date yet. I know this thread is old but is anyone else still in the same position???
Reply 15
Have people on here had start dates yet?
Still no start date :/
Reply 17
Original post by hustle88
Still no start date :/

Have you got yours now?
Original post by Cags
Have you got yours now?

Yeah! I start 1st October! Finally
Reply 19
Original post by hustle88
Yeah! I start 1st October! Finally

Great new! Congratulations! At least we know things are still moving, albeit very, very slowly! :biggrin:

Latest