Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

PIP & Erasmus year/study overseas watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I’m actually speaking about my daughter.
    She is studying at uni in Spain mainly motivated by health issues.
    Her PIP has been withdrawn due to the conditions attached to the benefit .
    This condition therefore discriminates against all disabled students who rely on PIP but who want to go overseas as part of their studies.
    Has anyone:
    A. Experience of the issue
    B. Campaigned against it.
    C. Any interest in highlighting the problem to the Wider Community with a view to creating an exception in the rule for valid student studies?
    It is so wrong!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Gatiti)
    Hi
    I’m actually speaking about my daughter.
    She is studying at uni in Spain mainly motivated by health issues.
    Her PIP has been withdrawn due to the conditions attached to the benefit .
    This condition therefore discriminates against all disabled students who rely on PIP but who want to go overseas as part of their studies.
    Has anyone:
    A. Experience of the issue
    B. Campaigned against it.
    C. Any interest in highlighting the problem to the Wider Community with a view to creating an exception in the rule for valid student studies?
    It is so wrong!
    Part of the condition is that you don't go abroad for more than 4 weeks for reasons other than medical treatment. If they changed the rules for students, they'd have to change the rules everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Part of the condition is that you don't go abroad for more than 4 weeks for reasons other than medical treatment. If they changed the rules for students, they'd have to change the rules everyone.
    Oh, I know the rules! That is my point. And is disagree with you regarding exceptions for studying students.
    Are you a disabled student relying on PIP wishing to include an Erasmus year in your studies?

ReputationRep:
    Long shot, but is there not an equivalent benefit she can claim over there? The only other thing I can suggest is writing to your MP and to whichever politician is in charge of disability benefits just now.

ReputationRep:
    Certainly the latter. The former is quite complicated and from the Spanish point of view, why should they support a Brit studying in their country. I guess it would be wildly complicated to expect a reciprocal arrangement for all European students. It’s fine, she manages but one a wider scale I feel it limits disabled students further than their existing limitations. Thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I disagree with you regarding exceptions for studying students.
    With any exception, if you make one there'll be a queue of people with other equally excellent reasons to not have this condition opposed to them.
    Why should they support a Brit studying in their country.
    To persuade them to stay, and work and contribute to society. But since the disability may hinder work, there's a dilemma there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.