Turn on thread page Beta

Join our debate - ‘Guns serve no purpose in civilised society’ watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of Hertfordshire)
    I agreed with you because you made a good point. Thank you for your advice. If I point a cigarette at someone I will not kill them same with a beer. Yes they are harmful but far more in terms of self harm. Guns serve a purpose - to deliver a high velocity bullet at a target with the aim of damaging/ destroying it. So heres an idea - if we think that logistically we can't ban all guns and I see some logic and understand the restrictions here why not stop the sale of ammunition?
    "We can't ban the guns, so let's ban the bullets."
    That's it - I'm out.

Thank you though, this did brighten my afternoon. I was working on my thesis and used this as a bit of a background distraction and for better or worse, I did enjoy it.

As my gift to you: Here is a video on bullet control that you really, really should take a glance at it. :P
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZrFVtmRXrw
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Johnathan94)
    "We can't ban the guns, so let's ban the bullets."
    That's it - I'm out.

Thank you though, this did brighten my afternoon. I was working on my thesis and used this as a bit of a background distraction and for better or worse, I did enjoy it.

As my gift to you: Here is a video on bullet control that you really, really should take a glance at it. :P
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZrFVtmRXrw
    Glad you enjoyed it. Hope your thesis is going well - what is it on?

ReputationRep:
    Glad you enjoyed it. Hope your thesis is going well - what is it on?
    It was a laboratory project where I tested some bacterial gunk (exopolysaccharide) on bowel cancer cells to explore its anti-cancer effects. But in my free time I moonlight as an LLB student with the University of London International Programmes.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Johnathan94)
    It was a laboratory project where I tested some bacterial gunk (exopolysaccharide) on bowel cancer cells to explore its anti-cancer effects. But in my free time I moonlight as an LLB student with the University of London International Programmes.
    Hey - why do just a degree when you can try and cure cancer and join a debate too?
    Personally I just wanted to get people engaged. Guns are such a polarising subject and emotive too. There is no easy answer but until we start from the place that perhaps we don't need guns in society ( by that I mean every day life) we are doing ourselves a disservice.

ReputationRep:
    Hey - why do just a degree when you can try and cure cancer and join a debate too?
    Personally I just wanted to get people engaged. Guns are such a polarising subject and emotive too. There is no easy answer but until we start from the place that perhaps we don't need guns in society ( by that I mean every day life) we are doing ourselves a disservice.
    Haha - well I would ask the question in return but as we've already established: you're an international man (or woman) of mystery! :P

Feel free to PM though if you ever want to chat.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Guns are not the answer. They're just a fact of life.

Just as confiscating guns is not the answer for the reasons stated above over half a dozen posts.

Actions that might help the situation (of school shootings) might be better security and better policing and better Mental Health provision and action.

But confiscating guns sounds like the worst idea ever. Its guaranteeing violence and instability.

The US has direct experience of this kind of thing - and pretty much exactly the same rationale was used for the 18th Amendment, the Prohibition. The reasoning was that alcohol served no good purpose and that the nation would be so much better off without. The result was of course unprecedented levels of violence and criminality.

Maybe you could suggest what it is that you think will replace legally-held firearms in the US for protecting citizens from armed criminals.
    I actually agree with you that there is little point in banning licensed firearms without banning unlicensed ones. I think production could be limited possibly not allowing people to purchase submachine guns would help. Would you agree the issue needs to be addressed though? Better security at schools - ok but what about when the first armed security guard goes on a killing spree. Where does it all end?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your comments and engagement on this debate. We're signing off now, but if you have any questions at all about Herts, please let us know.

Thanks,
    Heather and Steve

ReputationRep:
    I actually agree with you that there is little point in banning licensed firearms without banning unlicensed ones.
    You can't ban unlicensed firearms. That's the whole point.

I think production could be limited possibly not allowing people to purchase submachine guns would help.
    It has been Federally prohibited to purchase submachineguns for nearly 25 years

Would you agree the issue needs to be addressed though? Better security at schools - ok but what about when the first armed security guard goes on a killing spree. Where does it all end?
    All issues should be addressed in the interests of intelligent debate - one of the main problems is that the debates are lacking in any kind of reason. There are people jumping in with emotion-fuelled opinions and ideas that are generally ill-thought out and it's not hard to see circumstances in which they do more harm than good. Certainly, any attempt to make this a Republican v Democrat thing is absurd and has no place in the debate. Again - the Democrats did not care one hoot about this issue when they had every opportunity to pass legislation on it.

As to the armed guards going on a rampage - that's not a helpful scenario. It's impossible to legislate against and is not an argument against armed guards.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.