Turn on thread page Beta

Should I see a doctor about flu/fatigue/trouble sleeping? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Ever since I started uni in September I’ve had so many colds and bouts of flu, it’s ridiculous. I know uni is a collection of bugs, but I eat well (I study nutrition), I exercise (I’m a rower) and I hardly ever drink now. No one else seems to get ill as often as I do, I’m literally I’ll every second week.

Since Christmas, I’ve had trouble falling asleep and then staying asleep. When I gym, I’m exhausted and take extra rest days to recover. I feel tired earlier than usual (I can start feeling tired at 8pm instead of the old 10:30ish!) and then still can’t sleep when it gets to 11pm. And all in between colds and the flu!!

I did wonder if it was depression as my mum has it, but I don’t think it’s that. Should I go see a doctor and ask for a blood test? I’m worried it could be something invisible like a deficiency or an illness that is unaware of.

ReputationRep:
    Have you done a blood test?
    Nutrition is very individual. I was more ill when I ate meat and diary than now when I am vegan and I had less iron and hemoglobin. Try to find out what's wrong with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kathy89)
    Have you done a blood test?
    Nutrition is very individual. I was more ill when I ate meat and diary than now when I am vegan and I had less iron and hemoglobin. Try to find out what's wrong with you.
    No I haven’t. I assume I’d just go to the doctor for one? I feel like that would definitely clear and relax my mind, but I feel bad thinking about going to the doctors for that when the NHS is so busy 😂 and they might not want to see me just for a blood test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hatcs001)
    No I haven’t. I assume I’d just go to the doctor for one? I feel like that would definitely clear and relax my mind, but I feel bad thinking about going to the doctors for that when the NHS is so busy 😂 and they might not want to see me just for a blood test
    Blood tests are really important, at least to keep track on your health.

ReputationRep:
    Don't feel bad about the NHS being busy, you would be going with a legitimate problem - they hate time wasters not people with a problem! It might be something as small as a vitamin B deficiency that can be managed with injections or something - go for your own peace of mind too. Hope you feel better soon!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Hey guys,

Ever since I started uni in September I’ve had so many colds and bouts of flu, it’s ridiculous. I know uni is a collection of bugs, but I eat well (I study nutrition), I exercise (I’m a rower) and I hardly ever drink now. No one else seems to get ill as often as I do, I’m literally I’ll every second week.

Since Christmas, I’ve had trouble falling asleep and then staying asleep. When I gym, I’m exhausted and take extra rest days to recover. I feel tired earlier than usual (I can start feeling tired at 8pm instead of the old 10:30ish!) and then still can’t sleep when it gets to 11pm. And all in between colds and the flu!!

I did wonder if it was depression as my mum has it, but I don’t think it’s that. Should I go see a doctor and ask for a blood test? I’m worried it could be something invisible like a deficiency or an illness that is unaware of.
    This is worth seeing a doctor over. There are various things that could cause it and they can test for them and hopefully treat whatever you may have.
    Your doctor will probably want to do blood tests cos they're the way you check for most things. They'll make a note of what you need tested then you'll go in later to see a nurse and get your blood taken.
    Don't worry about the NHS. This is a legitimate issue and hopefully by addressing it now you'll need fewer appointments than if you waited a it got worse.
    It may well be something quite small, but that doesn't mean it's a waste of time. The NHS is there to help people who need it and you are in need of help right now. Simple.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    As above, get a comprehensive, investigative, blood work up analysed before anything else.

Could be depression, could be subconscious stress you're not aware of. Short course (2 weeks max) of 'Zopiclone', should re-establish normal sleep patterns. But try to taper off over 4 weeks rather that one every night then just stopping when you run out. Can cause re-bound insomnia that way.

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    Get a blood test.
    Though my dad a couple years back had a magnesium deficiency that they never picked up on, he had to fix it himself. Hopefully you don't have that problem.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 303Pharma)
    As above, get a comprehensive, investigative, blood work up analysed before anything else.

Could be depression, could be subconscious stress you're not aware of. Short course (2 weeks max) of 'Zopiclone', should re-establish normal sleep patterns. But try to taper off over 4 weeks rather that one every night then just stopping when you run out. Can cause re-bound insomnia that way.
    Not a very responsible use of a highly addictive drug there. A 6 week course is not "short".

By far the most effective treatment for insomnia is sleep restriction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Not a very responsible use of a highly addictive drug there. A 6 week course is not "short".

By far the most effective treatment for insomnia is sleep restriction.
    A GP would not write a prescription for more than two weeks (ie 14 dosages), as per guidelines in the BNF. Nor did I suggest taking a dose a day, for 'six' weeks anyway. Firstly, I said four weeks. Then I clearly said taper off, ie take ever increasing number of days between taking medication, so the 'script of 14 dosages takes four weeks to take, in order to prevent re-bound insomnia.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A GP would not write a prescription for more than two weeks (ie 14 dosages), as per guidelines in the BNF. Nor did I suggest taking a dose a day, for 'six' weeks anyway. Firstly, I said four weeks. Then I clearly said taper off, ie take ever increasing number of days between taking medication, so the 'script of 14 dosages takes four weeks to take, in order to prevent re-bound insomnia.
    Still irresponsible use of benzos. They should absolutely not be your first line treatment for simple insomnia!

Just as bad as giving oxycodone out like smarties like they do in the states.

ReputationRep:
    Still irresponsible use of benzos. They should absolutely not be your first line treatment for simple insomnia!

Just as bad as giving oxycodone out like smarties like they do in the states.
    Nothing simple about insomnia. It can, and often is, life threatening.

I was picked up by the police in a state of psychosis, with audible and visual hallucinations, and taken to A&E for two nights, after being constantly awake for nearly 80 hrs, due to simple insomnia (and no, I hadn't been on a stimulant bender, I don't even drink coffee after midday usually).

ReputationRep:
    Still irresponsible use of benzos.
    I agree.

Or I would, if Zopiclone was a benzodiazapine, rather than a cyclopyrrolone.

Spoiler:
    Show

And if I wasn't a pedant
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Nothing simple about insomnia. It can, and often is, life threatening.
    It is very rarely life threatening. And even in said state, its much, much more common to happen alongside another psychiatric diagnosis. In either case, a 2 week course of zopiclone prescribed by the GP is definitely not the treatment.

Ok not technically benzo, but still highly addictive.

ReputationRep:
    !
    Should I go see a doctor and ask for a blood test? I’m worried it could be something invisible like a deficiency or an illness that is unaware of.
    You need to see a doctor about this. Trust me, it can be tedious but it is so much better to get it sorted. I was ill last year and without the doctor's intervention, I would have failed year 12 due to poor attendance. Blood tests will mean very little in the long run if it means better wellbeing.
    In the meantime, it may be worth checking the following things:
    - Are there any environmental issues which could be affecting your immune system? Things such as mould could mean bad news.
    -Do you take any kind of multivitamins? Ferroglobin has worked for my energy levels in the past so it may be worth seeing what your local pharmacy has. You can get multivitamins with iron too!
    -Maybe try apps like headspace/sleepcycle as a good combo for sleeping. Online sleep calculators may also help your body to get back in rhythm again.
    I'm definitely not a professional, but I know what your situation is like and a little bit of experience doesn't hurt either. Definitely get checked by your doctor ASAP though

ReputationRep:
    I’m sorry to scare you, but please go to the doctor straight away! I had these symptoms, and I ended up having Leukaemia! I’m not saying it is that, but better to be safe than sorry!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.