Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Nuffield Research Placements 2018 watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi everyone :wavey:

This is a thread for anyone who is applying for a Nuffield Research Placement in summer 2018! :woo:

I completed my placement in 2016, so am more than happy to answer any questions about placements or the application process

To kick things off, it would be nice for everyone to introduce themselves- maybe start with:

Region:
    Area of Interest: (i.e. Which area of STEM you want a placement in)
    Current Studies:
    Application Status: Not yet submitted/ Submitted/ Successful/ Unsuccessful

If anyone has just found this thread and wants to know more about Nuffield Placements, they are basically 4-6 week long placements where you complete your own STEM research project within a university, company or organisation. You need to be in English/Welsh Year 12, Scottish S5 or Northern Irish Year 13 to be able to apply. The deadlines for some areas have already passed, but there are plenty pf areas still accepting applications

There's loads more information for anyone who needs it here: http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/nu...rch-placements

ReputationRep:
    Hey ive applied and I’m still waiting for a response. • What did they ask in the interview?• how many weeks did you end up doing doing for?• what was your project on? Sorry for all the questions haha but thanksss 😊
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Student879)
    Hey ive applied and I’m still waiting for a response. • What did they ask in the interview?• how many weeks did you end up doing doing for?• what was your project on? Sorry for all the questions haha but thanksss 😊
    Hi :wavey:

Nice to see someone here :lol: No need to apologise

I didn't have an interview before my placement- I think it depends on the provider and perhaps the region too to some extent.
    I did my placement for just under 5 weeks
    My project was investigating the behavioural response of marine invertebrates to pesticides It was really interesting (even though I don't think it's what I want to do in the future) and I enjoyed the whole experience a lot

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Hiiiii

I'm in the process of applying in the South West for Biochemistry, Engineering, Biomedical Sciences or Biology respectively. I am currently in Year 12 studying Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths.

I am struggling on the personal statement. I have no idea what to start with and how to end it, but I am considering a career in Medicine, Dentistry or Biochemistry.

THANKSSSS
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by maariaaaa)
    Hiiiii

I'm in the process of applying in the South West for Biochemistry, Engineering, Biomedical Sciences or Biology respectively. I am currently in Year 12 studying Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths.

I am struggling on the personal statement. I have no idea what to start with and how to end it, but I am considering a career in Medicine, Dentistry or Biochemistry.

THANKSSSS
    :wavey: Hello!

Nice choice of subjects

Not sure whether it's all the same as when I applied...Is the main bit still the 2 questions, with 500 words each? Can't remember what the second one is :lol: , but I can give you some pointers if you can remind me what they ask

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm hoping to get onto either biochemistry, biology, biomedical sciences, or forensics and am currently studying chemistry, biology, and psychology at A-Level. I'm living in Leeds and would need to travel to Manchester were i to get the placement, would i get any accommodation or would I need to travel back and forth everyday?

ReputationRep:
    Hi was just wondering I'm from a private school so what are the chances of me getting accepted because they don't accept as many people from private schools.
    I'm doing physics maths and further maths and want to do computer science or data science project.
    Also anyone know the word limit for the personal statement because it doesnt say and I have written 700 words atm. Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Eyrún)
    Hi there,

I'm hoping to get onto either biochemistry, biology, biomedical sciences, or forensics and am currently studying chemistry, biology, and psychology at A-Level. I'm living in Leeds and would need to travel to Manchester were i to get the placement, would i get any accommodation or would I need to travel back and forth everyday?
    :wavey:

You would need to commute every day, but they would cover your train/bus fare. You could end up with a placement in Leeds?

Best of luck with your application
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by aceplayyt)
    Hi was just wondering I'm from a private school so what are the chances of me getting accepted because they don't accept as many people from private schools.
    I'm doing physics maths and further maths and want to do computer science or data science project.
    Also anyone know the word limit for the personal statement because it doesnt say and I have written 700 words atm. Thanks

I don't have any figures on this, but you're right that they tend to accept fewer people from private schools. It's still worth applying though- nothing to lose really

Sounds like an interesting area to want to go into (one I know nothing about :lol:)
    When I did it 2 years ago, I believe it was 500 for each section, but that may have changed. Double check the guidance on the website to see if it is stated anywhere, but if not it might be worth just sending your local coordinator an email to double check.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your application

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was just wondering when (approximately) did you hear back that you got a place? (I’m from Scotland so I’ve already submitted my application, fingers crossed).
    Thanks ^_^
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by demonic_karasu)
    Hi, I was just wondering when (approximately) did you hear back that you got a place? (I’m from Scotland so I’ve already submitted my application, fingers crossed).
    Thanks ^_^

I'm from Scotland too
    I head back in May There are usually about 500 applications from Scotland for 100 places, so it can take a while to get through them

What type of placement have you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demonic_karasu)
    Thanks ^_^
    (Original post by Labrador99)

I'm from Scotland too
    I head back in May There are usually about 500 applications from Scotland for 100 places, so it can take a while to get through them

What type of placement have you applied for?
    How many words did u guys write?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by aceplayyt)
    How many words did u guys write?
    I did about 400-500 for each of the 2 questions they had 2 years ago, i think. I can't really remember though.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I did a Nuffield Research Placement in the summer of 2017, so if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. I would definitely recommend applying, even if you think you have a low chance of getting in, cos you never know. Plus, I used a large portion of my Nuffield personal statement in my real UCAS personal statement, so it was worth having it done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by safzab)
    Hi guys, I did a Nuffield Research Placement in the summer of 2017, so if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. I would definitely recommend applying, even if you think you have a low chance of getting in, cos you never know. Plus, I used a large portion of my Nuffield personal statement in my real UCAS personal statement, so it was worth having it done
    Hey, Did u by any chance get asked to have an interview? If so, what kind of questions did they ask?

Thanks xx 😊😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student879)
    Hey, Did u by any chance get asked to have an interview? If so, what kind of questions did they ask?

Thanks xx 😊😊
    No I didn't. I've heard it's just up to the individual company whether or not they want an interview.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by jakespencer123)
    I have just applied for a Nuffield research placement for next summer. Can anybody share your experience with Nuffield just so that I have an idea of what to expect.

(Original post by Mark jam)
    I was looking at this reserach placement that can be done over the summer and i have some questions if you dont mind answering. I'm very baffled about the idea and there is not much written on the site SO:

Where do you actually do this placement?

After selecting the objects that you are interested in studying in the placement, what are the actual things you get to do in the placement ?

Is it free of charge?

How long is it or do you chose the length of the placement yourself?

If you have been or no anything about this, can you please tell me all about it?

It would be much appreciated if someone can answer my concerns
    (Original post by Shvdg)
    Anyone have any advice for the personal statement? I'm OK about why I want to do it, but I'm pretty worthless and I can't think of anything to put for "What you can bring to a placement in terms of your qualities and skills".

(Original post by dan_585)
    Has anyone done this course before or a variant of it?

I'm just finishing my personal statement and just curious what it's like.

(Also if anyone wants to read my personal statement and give me tips that would be highly appreciated)
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    Im also applying for a nuffield research placement as well,I hope I will get it.The thing is sometimes I feel like giving up because I try hard and I dont reap the benefits.Sometimes I feel like i should just do a chemistry degree, because the content in class is enjoyable but then Im not interested in chemistry outside the classroom and there is no job in chemistry that I want to do.But with medicine I would really enjoy the career a lot and could do a lot of the stuff Im interested in.

:wavey: Saw your posts in other threads and thought you might find this thread useful

ReputationRep:
    Region: London
    Area of Interest: Biomedicine
    Current Studies: Biology,chemistry,maths and economics (will be dropping at the end of year 12).Hoping to study medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Region: South Yorkshire but the nearest region was Midlands or smth
    Area of Interest: Mathematics, Engineering, Chemistry, Computer Science
    Current Studies: A Level Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry (Y12), with intent to carry all four forward to Y13, hoping to study Engineering or Maths
    Application Status: Submitted

I'm not too sure over my odds here but I applied anyway.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    Region: London
    Area of Interest: Biomedicine
    Current Studies: Biology,chemistry,maths and economics (will be dropping at the end of year 12).Hoping to study medicine.
    Hope your application is successful

(Original post by AryanGh)
    Region: South Yorkshire but the nearest region was Midlands or smth
    Area of Interest: Mathematics, Engineering, Chemistry, Computer Science
    Current Studies: A Level Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry (Y12), with intent to carry all four forward to Y13, hoping to study Engineering or Maths
    Application Status: Submitted

I'm not too sure over my odds here but I applied anyway.
    It's definitely worth putting in an application even if you think you have no chance (as I thought), so you definitely made the right decision just giving it a go! Best of luck with your application

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.