The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physconomics
No problem. Yeah it must be a new addition I guess. What region are you in by the way?

West midlands and the deadline was April 19th and my teachers just submitted the reference on April 19th so I was surprised to get a reply so quickly saying I've been moved to stage 2
Original post by Ismaeel Ali
West midlands and the deadline was April 19th and my teachers just submitted the reference on April 19th so I was surprised to get a reply so quickly saying I've been moved to stage 2

Same here! Haha nice. Good luck with your application :smile:
Original post by physconomics
Same here! Haha nice. Good luck with your application :smile:

Thank you : )
Region: West Midland
Area of Interest: Maths or Physics
Current Studies: Chemistry, maths, further maths, physics
Application Status: Submitted
Original post by thotproduct
Successful and also got the Scholarship thing

Congratulations! Do you know what your placement will be about?

Original post by Deliciate
Region: Greater London
Area of Interest: Biomedicine, biochemistry, biology, chemistry, (& medicine; oncology)
Current Studies: Chemistry, biology, maths and English literature

Good luck! Always find it interesting to see people doing English or similar alongside sciences, but I've been told by uni students it is actually really helpful to university studies with the number of essays you can be asked to write in science courses!
Is it medicine you're wanting to do beyond school?

Original post by ChallengeLover
Region: West Midland
Area of Interest: Maths or Physics
Current Studies: Chemistry, maths, further maths, physics

Good luck! Let us know how you get on :smile:
Original post by Labrador99

Good luck! Let us know how you get on :smile:

Will do. Really hope I get on because I sent my application off long ago and have been waiting for a few months
Will do. Really hope I get on because I sent my application off long ago and have been waiting for a few months

As with anything, the waiting's the worst part, but they will have probably wanted to have everyone's in before they made decisions to make it fair. Hope you hear back soon :smile:
As with anything, the waiting's the worst part, but they will have probably wanted to have everyone's in before they made decisions to make it fair. Hope you hear back soon :smile:

Right... Checked my junk mail and found the email saying I'm onto stage 2. Did the tests attached and they weren't difficult. Can't wait for them to let me know if I've made it to the next stage. My teachers want me to get in because I was the only one that applied (everyone else just wasn't interested).
Original post by Ismaeel Ali
One was one of these btec 'here's a statement do you strongly agree/agree/neutral/disagree/strongly disagree' and that one was all good. You had 20 minutes but I did it in 3 it wasn't really demanding at all just basic statements.
The second one was more of a 'test'. It was testing math skills. There were question about calculating how much money someone earns in a year and then working out how much they have spare after expenses are paid. Then there were those pattern questions that are like 'which pattern doesn't fit' or 'which pattern comes next in the sequence' there were a couple graph questions where you had to compare data between different companies and answer questions related to them. Finally there was one of those horrid 'how many triangles in the triangle question'

Did you have enough time for the 2nd test? or was it quite difficult to do in the time? Also do you have to do one after the other or can you do 1, take a break then do the next one?
Thanks is advance :smile:)
Original post by nada1212
Did you have enough time for the 2nd test? or was it quite difficult to do in the time? Also do you have to do one after the other or can you do 1, take a break then do the next one?
Thanks is advance :smile:)

I had enough time for the second test yes there are 15 questions. And yes you can take a break between the two

Good luck with the two tests : )
Well done on getting a placement! Have you found out what you'll be doing yet?

I'm happy to try and answer any questions, having done a placement in 2016 :smile:
At my induction, I think there were about 20 of us. There were several dates to choose from in different locations (I'm in Scotland which is one region, so very big geographical spread!)
I was on a placement by myself, but I know other people had others doing separate projects within the same institution, and there were some places where a small group of 2-3 Nuffield students worked on the same project. It really just depends- I think other students being there probably changes your experience slightly, but it's not a major thing and I had a great time, even though I was by myself!
I was really nervous before I started too, and didn't know what to expect. But my supervisors were really friendly and so were the other staff and students who were around. I had a really amazing time at my placement overall.

Hope this helps :smile:

Good luck with your application!

Thank you!
I should be doing physics at either Manchester or Liverpool, as I found out the other day there aren't any currently at Manchester but there should be at Liverpool. My coordinator is really nice and helpful!
Hi just wondering when roughly I’m likely to find out what I will be doing?
Right... Checked my junk mail and found the email saying I'm onto stage 2. Did the tests attached and they weren't difficult. Can't wait for them to let me know if I've made it to the next stage. My teachers want me to get in because I was the only one that applied (everyone else just wasn't interested).

That was lucky you saw it in time!

Understandable, as it is such a huge commitment, but it really is such a brilliant opportunity :yep:

Good luck with getting to the next stage :smile:
Original post by abbeydoesphysics
Thank you!
I should be doing physics at either Manchester or Liverpool, as I found out the other day there aren't any currently at Manchester but there should be at Liverpool. My coordinator is really nice and helpful!

Sounds good :smile: Hope you find out soon and have a good placement :smile:
Original post by hannah2001
Hi just wondering when roughly I’m likely to find out what I will be doing?

It depends on a couple things...
- Have you heard back anything at all yet (you won't necessarily have, and it doesn't mean anything if you haven't)?
- Do you mean which placement you'll be allocated, or whether you have a placement?
- Which region is it you are in? (and when was your deadline?)
I been told I’ve got a placement 😁 and my deadline was the end of March. My region is Cheshire and Merseyside.
Original post by hannah2001
I been told I’ve got a placement 😁 and my deadline was the end of March. My region is Cheshire and Merseyside.

I think you've probably said that before and I've forgot :facepalm:My excuse is I'm awful with names and there are a lot of you :lol:

I think you will likely hear back at some point in May. But it could be June. There is no real way of knowing for sure. But you are one of the earliest to know you have been successful, so you're definitely fortunate in that respect! :smile:
I think you've probably said that before and I've forgot :facepalm:My excuse is I'm awful with names and there are a lot of you :lol:

I think you will likely hear back at some point in May. But it could be June. There is no real way of knowing for sure. But you are one of the earliest to know you have been successful, so you're definitely fortunate in that respect! :smile:

Yeh wasn’t expecting to find out so soon after deadline and thank you
Reply 118
got an email saying that greater london should get an email finding out if you've been shortlisted on tuesday the 1st May
Reply 119

Good luck with your application!

only just saw this, thank you!

Latest

Trending

Trending