The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Statistics 2017-18

Hi everyone :wavey:

I know this is a bit of a long shot as not many people do the subject, but is there anyone here doing advanced higher statistics this year?

I've made this thread so we can discuss how we're doing, ask questions, and discuss the exam when it comes :smile:

So how are you finding the course so far?
Original post by Labrador99
Hi everyone :wavey:

I know this is a bit of a long shot as not many people do the subject, but is there anyone here doing advanced higher statistics this year?

I've made this thread so we can discuss how we're doing, ask questions, and discuss the exam when it comes :smile:

So how are you finding the course so far?

Sorry but this is of no help! I don't take it personally but I am hoping to sit the exam next year (S5 for me). No one at my school teaches the subject and so if have to teach myself. How have you found it? Is it manageable?
Original post by jbaillie2002
Sorry but this is of no help! I don't take it personally but I am hoping to sit the exam next year (S5 for me). No one at my school teaches the subject and so if have to teach myself. How have you found it? Is it manageable?

Hi :wavey:

I'm in the same position as you will be next year, in that I'm self teaching as my school doesn't teach it. I'm being entered through a school in a different local authority quite some way away.

I have found it quite enjoyable, and the notes provided through the school who are presenting me have been brilliant! Because you cannot get a full higher or nat 5, it starts off quite basic, which is good self teaching wise, as you can sort of ease into it.
Still waiting on the other school sending over the next set of notes etc. so haven't quite finished the course yet, but wouldn't say I've had too many problems so far, and have quite enjoyed the independent learning :smile:

I'm in the same position as you will be next year, in that I'm self teaching as my school doesn't teach it. I'm being entered through a school in a different local authority quite some way away.

I have found it quite enjoyable, and the notes provided through the school who are presenting me have been brilliant! Because you cannot get a full higher or nat 5, it starts off quite basic, which is good self teaching wise, as you can sort of ease into it.
Still waiting on the other school sending over the next set of notes etc. so haven't quite finished the course yet, but wouldn't say I've had too many problems so far, and have quite enjoyed the independent learning :smile:

did you do adh maths first, or simultaneously?
Hey, just sat the exam today. How did you find it?
Reply 5
hi, i have an A in higher maths, but it was not an easy task. i needed a third AH, so i took stats and sat the exam this week. i struggle with advanced mathematics a fair bit, and stats is a lot of new concepts combined with the requirement to apply mathematical knowledge. it is far more situational based, as the subject is, at its core, working with data. i can learn the maths fine, but i kind f suck at applying it, so i found it really quite hard tbh (still not as hard as higher maths though, so that might be encouraging idk) i honestly thought i'd gotten the hang of it around may time, and i was aiming and hoping for a B. the exam had some really strange and difficult questions on it, though. i cried in it. thank god nobody saw/heard me and that i managed to pull myself together and largely finish the paper. the other questions were fine. i'm pretty sure i passed at least but idk, guess i'll find out (Y) tbh i found the subject really interesting as a whole, it was just difficult and complex. i'd say i'm glad i took it, but i'm pretty much a straight A student and this is looking like it was a C. but grades are only so important as far as the actual learning bit goes. would recommend if you're confident with maths lmao (it is very enjoyable if you know what you're doing)
Reply 6
Original post by wannabeboarder
Hey, just sat the exam today. How did you find it?

ugh
Reply 7

i mentioned this already but because the concepts can be quite complex and multifaceted it's good to have someone on hand who can explain them coherently. nb: my teacher couldn't really do that and i still got through it, plus i imagine you're more competent.
also: a high tech graphics calculator (look up ah statistics calculator n you'll probably find the right one) is suuuuuuuper helpful, but i understand that they can be quite expensive. we loaned ours from our school, so you may want to look into buying your own (second hand should be fine tbh), the necessary functions can be found online and there are probably some on this site too.
Hi there,

I know technically this is last year's thread but there doesn't appear to be one for this year yet so I'll ask here.

Does anyone have (or know where I could get) a pdf copy of the Maths in Action Statistics 1 textbook? Or if not the whole textbook at least the first few exercises on probability.

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Latest