Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Actuary Apprenticeships - The Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA) watch

•  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hey,

Apprenticeships are the alternative to university as university isn't for everyone. Apprenticeships give students the opportunity to earn whilst they learn.

If you have any questions about Actuary Apprenticeships, we will be happy to answer them.

Happy Monday

ReputationRep:
    When will the the Level 7 Actuary apprenticeship be ready, and is it suitable for A Level school leavers?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Fighter365)
    When will the the Level 7 Actuary apprenticeship be ready, and is it suitable for A Level school leavers?
    So the Level 7 Apprenticeships should be finalised by April/May but we do not have a confirmed date as yet. The apprenticeship will be suitable for graduate level students - we have a Level 4 apprenticeship at the moment which is suitable for A level school leavers.

Are you considering the apprenticeship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InstituteAndFacultyofActuaries)
    So the Level 7 Apprenticeships should be finalised by April/May but we do not have a confirmed date as yet. The apprenticeship will be suitable for graduate level students - we have a Level 4 apprenticeship at the moment which is suitable for A level school leavers.

So it isn’t suitable for high achieving A Level students?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InstituteAndFacultyofActuaries)

Even in your first post you said that apprentiships are an alternative to university...?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    So it isn’t suitable for high achieving A Level students?
    The Level 4 apprenticeships are suitable for high achieving A level students, but the Level 7 is aimed at graduates. There is a distinction in terms of the content, but I cannot answer this until it is finalised and launched I'm afraid
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Even in your first post you said that apprentiships are an alternative to university...?
    They are an alternative to university and our Level 4 apprenticeships have entry requirements of A level Mathematics at grade A or B

ReputationRep:
    Hi my name is Fahim and I am considering doing an actuary apprenticeship. I am in the first year of college and I am hoping to do an apprenticeship in actuary. The subjects that I am taking right now are A-level; Maths, Biology and Chemistry. My questions are: -Say if I was to go into the apprenticeship then would I be doing the IOFA exams at the same time? -If I wasn't to complete the IOFA within the 3 years of the apprenticeship what would I do? Would I go into an internship?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Agent21)
    Hi my name is Fahim and I am considering doing an actuary apprenticeship. I am in the first year of college and I am hoping to do an apprenticeship in actuary. The subjects that I am taking right now are A-level; Maths, Biology and Chemistry. My questions are: -Say if I was to go into the apprenticeship then would I be doing the IOFA exams at the same time? -If I wasn't to complete the IOFA within the 3 years of the apprenticeship what would I do? Would I go into an internship?
    Hi Fahim, thanks for reaching out! You're well on your way in becoming an actuary with your choice of A levels, as entry requirements for an Actuarial Apprenticeship is A level mathematics at Grade A or B.
    If you did an actuarial apprenticeship, you would be completing the IFoA exams at the same time (working and studying to get the best of both world's). Generally companies would encourage and help students to complete their qualification, and with an apprenticeship it's even more flexible as it encourages study.

Have you looked at the type of actuarial apprenticeship you would like to go for?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, yes I've been looking at the apprenticeships and I'm looking to go into the AON actuary school leavers scheme (apprenticeship). Another question I wanna ask is what happens after I've completed my apprenticeship and I haven't completed my exams?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi, yes I've been looking at the apprenticeships and I'm looking to go into the AON actuary school leavers scheme (apprenticeship). Another question I wanna ask is what happens after I've completed my apprenticeship and I haven't completed my exams?
    You have enough time to complete your exams as part of the apprenticeship so this should not worry you. Once you finish all your exams and apprenticeship, it will be a conversation between you and your employer on what you do next.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi, It will generally depend on the organisation but they will look to progress the individual so they will be looking to keep you on for a role internally.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 15, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.