Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am 18. At 16 I left school with no qualifications, I have mostly U grades in GCSEs other than an E, D and F, I do have entry level 3 functional skills English and maths and now doing level 1 but I'm worried about my future still, I want to work with animals and it's competitive so I want a good level of education and just to prove myself and everyone wrong and that I can do it, I do have severe anxiety, depression and low iron which caused me to fail but I haven't given up, I just constantly worry that I will end up in a horrible job of crappy paid one with no chance of getting anywhere. My other jobs that I wouldn't mind doing are office work, receptionist in a vets, painting or photography.

I really want to be able to drive and afford a car soon and I know I'm going to have a hard time finding a decent paid job without a decent level of education, I just really want a career, I know animal jobs aren't paid much either but it doesn't bother me too much.

I'm considering pre access, access then maybe uni but if not uni access is level 3 so I'm happy to just get that qualification and I'm going to volunteer in a few more animal places, I already do doggy day care.

I want to travel, have a good life, have a career, eventually rent an apartment, have a car, things like that really, things you can't really do on minimum wage and at crappy jobs.

Just need advice on how to get here. I know I made a big mistake by getting Us in GCSE English and maths.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by JasmineWills)
    I am 18. At 16 I left school with no qualifications, I have mostly U grades in GCSEs other than an E, D and F, I do have entry level 3 functional skills English and maths and now doing level 1 but I'm worried about my future still, I want to work with animals and it's competitive so I want a good level of education and just to prove myself and everyone wrong and that I can do it, I do have severe anxiety, depression and low iron which caused me to fail but I haven't given up, I just constantly worry that I will end up in a horrible job of crappy paid one with no chance of getting anywhere. My other jobs that I wouldn't mind doing are office work, receptionist in a vets, painting or photography.

I really want to be able to drive and afford a car soon and I know I'm going to have a hard time finding a decent paid job without a decent level of education, I just really want a career, I know animal jobs aren't paid much either but it doesn't bother me too much.

I'm considering pre access, access then maybe uni but if not uni access is level 3 so I'm happy to just get that qualification and I'm going to volunteer in a few more animal places, I already do doggy day care.

I want to travel, have a good life, have a career, eventually rent an apartment, have a car, things like that really, things you can't really do on minimum wage and at crappy jobs.

Just need advice on how to get here. I know I made a big mistake by getting Us in GCSE English and maths.
    Can you go back and redo your GCSEs as they are a fairly basic qualification. Check with unis if they will accept a level 3 qualification and what access courses are available to you.

ReputationRep:
    Resit your GCSE English and maths at a local college, and take Triple or combined science privately although some colleges offer GCSE biology. Take a few other subject like geography or history or r.s which equals to 5 gcses, from then I say take an access course in science. To fund your gcses privately take an apprenticeship or so and save money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Can you go back and redo your GCSEs as they are a fairly basic qualification. Check with unis if they will accept a level 3 qualification and what access courses are available to you.
    If I do pre access it gets you GCSEs and they allow you to move on to an access course, I know my city university allows you to get in with the access course and GCSEs which by then I'll have hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, see if you can retake maths and English at a local college, or even online. These are arguably the most important, so it's important to try and get them, as they're like a stepping stone. Next, try and see if you can get some form of higher level education in what you want to do, whether it's an apprenticeship, university degree or higher level qualifications. There's a wide variety of ways you can do these, including night classes and "sandwich degrees" where you work on your qualification with a year of work in between. Try and get as much experience as possible, particularly if you want to work with animals as it's super competitive. Finally try and stay positive and believe in yourself!! Anyone can turn their life around and it's not too late
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nobody101)
    Resit your GCSE English and maths at a local college, and take Triple or combined science privately although some colleges offer GCSE biology. Take a few other subject like geography or history or r.s which equals to 5 gcses, from then I say take an access course in science. To fund your gcses privately take an apprenticeship or so and save money.
    Why would I do that? Not only is that going to take me years it is going to be ridiculously expensive. I can go through the easier way with pre access, access then maybe uni after

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMonsterinMe)
    Firstly, see if you can retake maths and English at a local college, or even online. These are arguably the most important, so it's important to try and get them, as they're like a stepping stone. Next, try and see if you can get some form of higher level education in what you want to do, whether it's an apprenticeship, university degree or higher level qualifications. There's a wide variety of ways you can do these, including night classes and "sandwich degrees" where you work on your qualification with a year of work in between. Try and get as much experience as possible, particularly if you want to work with animals as it's super competitive. Finally try and stay positive and believe in yourself!! Anyone can turn their life around and it's not too late
    That's why I'm going to volunteer, I already have in a few places but I want to try different volunteer positions and thank you

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.