Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    PLEASE HELP!! I welcome any advice!

So I am currently doing a Level 2 apprenticeship that finishes in 2019. I have accepted an offer to study at University of St Andrews in Sept 2018.

-How do I quit?(never had a job before)

-What would you do in my position?

-Will they give me a bad reference for essentially 'lying' to them?

Back Story:
    After college I had to get a job to help my mum pay rent and move to a cheaper place etc. In the interview I said I didn't want to go to uni (because I thought they wouldnt hire me otherwise and I needed money). The pay is good and it has helped but I hate going to work at this place and I can't imagine having a career there. But everyone keeps talking about career progression and I feel that I have only encouraged the belief that I want a long term career there because i'm not strong enough to say otherwise atm. I feel like a bad reference will tarnish my future job prospects.

I suffer from social anxiety and depression and its been getting worst the more I think about confronting my manager but I know it has to be done. But the longer I dont say anything the worst this will get

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benjamin118)

So I am currently doing a Level 2 apprenticeship that finishes in 2019. I have accepted an offer to study at University of St Andrews in Sept 2018.

Back Story:
    After college I had to get a job to help my mum pay rent and move to a cheaper place etc. In the interview I said I didn't want to go to uni (because I thought they wouldnt hire me otherwise and I needed money). The pay is good and it has helped but I hate going to work at this place and I can't imagine having a career there. But everyone keeps talking about career progression and I feel that I have only encouraged the belief that I want a long term career there because i'm not strong enough to say otherwise atm. I feel like a bad reference will tarnish my future job prospects.

I suffer from social anxiety and depression and its been getting worst the more I think about confronting my manager but I know it has to be done. But the longer I dont say anything the worst this will get
    don't worry about what the manager thinks about you. just politely inform the firm that you are giving the required period of notice. you do not have to tell them why.

ReputationRep:

Back Story:

You don't need a reference from them if you're going to uni. Once you have a degree nobody will care what job you did before going there and you'll have references from your tutors. You could just email or call them to say you're not going to go in again and walk away. When you have a degree you don't need to put every job you've ever done on your CV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    You don't need a reference from them if you're going to uni. Once you have a degree nobody will care what job you did before going there and you'll have references from your tutors. You could just email or call them to say you're not going to go in again and walk away. When you have a degree you don't need to put every job you've ever done on your CV.
    Totally true

ReputationRep:
    It’s easy to make these sort of things into a big deal in your mind, the reality of it is probably not as bad.
    I have too gotten jobs by saying I’m not going to University (with the intention of going) but I was just honestly fed up of employers not hiring me for that reason, I needed the money plain and simple.
    As the others have said, write a well written letter (look online for correct structure and layout) explaining your actions but not in depth. You do not have to get personal with short term employers - they don’t have to know what the whole truth is.
    Ask if you can speak to your manager/supervisor in private to hand over the letter whilst stating that you are in a sticky situation and you believe that quitting would be for the best at this point in time.
    Scary, I know. But University is way more important and you’ll forget about this job within a few months anyway!
    Good luck ☺️
    (If you desperately don’t want a bad reference, try stating in your letter that you hope the company understands and there’s - in better words - no bad blood and you loved working there, stops them having something to get at at least!)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

Back Story:

Hey. I think that its really good how you got a job to help your mum. There are a number of ways to quit but I think you should do what suits you. Afterall getting an offer to study at Uni is great, when the time is right just politly ask to get a few minutes alone with your boss. Explain everything to them in your own time and if they are a human being then they should understand. Good luck and do it how it suits you rememeber!!! Also don't leave it too late or it will bad. all the best

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.