Turn on thread page Beta

PLEASE HELP!! I welcome any advice!

So I am currently doing a Level 2 apprenticeship that finishes in 2019. I have accepted an offer to study at University of St Andrews in Sept 2018.

-How do I quit?(never had a job before)

-What would you do in my position?

-Will they give me a bad reference for essentially 'lying' to them?

Back Story:
    After college I had to get a job to help my mum pay rent and move to a cheaper place etc. In the interview I said I didn't want to go to uni (because I thought they wouldnt hire me otherwise and I needed money). The pay is good and it has helped but I hate going to work at this place and I can't imagine having a career there. But everyone keeps talking about career progression and I feel that I have only encouraged the belief that I want a long term career there because i'm not strong enough to say otherwise atm. I feel like a bad reference will tarnish my future job prospects.

I suffer from social anxiety and depression and its been getting worst the more I think about confronting my manager but I know it has to be done. But the longer I dont say anything the worst this will get

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    PLEASE HELP!! I welcome any advice!

So I am currently doing a Level 2 apprenticeship that finishes in 2019. I have accepted an offer to study at University of St Andrews in Sept 2018.

-How do I quit?(never had a job before)

-What would you do in my position?

-Will they give me a bad reference for essentially 'lying' to them?

Back Story:
    After college I had to get a job to help my mum pay rent and move to a cheaper place etc. In the interview I said I didn't want to go to uni (because I thought they wouldnt hire me otherwise and I needed money). The pay is good and it has helped but I hate going to work at this place and I can't imagine having a career there. But everyone keeps talking about career progression and I feel that I have only encouraged the belief that I want a long term career there because i'm not strong enough to say otherwise atm. I feel like a bad reference will tarnish my future job prospects.

I suffer from social anxiety and depression and its been getting worst the more I think about confronting my manager but I know it has to be done. But the longer I dont say anything the worst this will get
    Quitting won't be as bad as you're building it up to be in your mind. What is the notice period for leaving? I would do it professionally, i.e. a letter, and just hand it over, saying to the manager "Hi, this is my letter of notice", on the day you'd like you notice period to begin. He'll probably open it infront of you or ask something and you can just say that you don't think you're heart is in this long term/can't see yourself doing it forever. If you don't wish to tell him about university I don't see why you'd have to tbh.

With respect to references, they probably will not give you a bad one. But even if they do, who cares? You've got the place at university (congratulations btw), you don't need the reference to get in (correct?) and over three years you will accrue more references (and more relevant ones at that) e.g. part-time job, volunteering, your tutor, a summer internship/placement year etc. Just need to be proactive over the three years.

I know you've said that you've lied but lives change for people and employers will recognise that not all employees will work out. At the time of the interview you can say, if you wish, that you didn't want to go to uni (and you saying that might not have been a factor in their decision to hire you anyway!!) but you've changed your mind.

ReputationRep:
    Just hand in your notice for leaving. You won't need their reference anyway. It's not working out for you - what more is there to say? It's fine!

ReputationRep:
    Just hand in your notice, work your notice period and say as little as possible about why. Just say unfortunately you have to move on to something else.

ReputationRep:
    telling them you're leaving is a lot better than just leaving without notice. they will appreciate you telling them. the earlier the better so they can find a replacement. don't be scared it's normal for them.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't worry about it: I'm sure they'll learn to love again.

Just put together a simple little letter saying thank you for the opportunity they provided you with but, with an exciting new opportunity arising at St. Andrew's University, you feel that it's time for you to leave. State your desired last day and put in a little "If there's any action I can take to help make this transition easier then please do not hesitate to let me know."

Sign it and hand it over.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.