Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Starting Revision watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have 8 weeks until I start my exams, I am struggling with revision as I am not able to do it. Instead of revising im always on my PS4 playing fortnite. What made you start revising? I feel like I'm going to fail at everything but I really need to start! What are some tips that could help me get into revising?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tobymogg15)
    I have 8 weeks until I start my exams, I am struggling with revision as I am not able to do it. Instead of revising im always on my PS4 playing fortnite. What made you start revising? I feel like I'm going to fail at everything but I really need to start! What are some tips that could help me get into revising?
    just have a ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerrymogg17)
    just have a ****
    what do you want for dinner tonight? was your chicken alright

ReputationRep:
    omfg how did you find me on here?!?!

ReputationRep:
    I can help you revise when im home your dads picking youup

ReputationRep:
    Creating a revision timetable can be a really good place to start - it makes the idea of revision less daunting and reduces the stress surrounding it. Instead of spending each day thinking about how much you have to do, you can start each day knowing exactly what you need to achieve and so get stuck in straight away to the work.
    If you don't think you'll be disciplined enough with a timetable, you may find it useful to sign up to a revision site as they then send you reminders if you don't study enough which can be compelling. And I also think they're a more fun way to revise, but just as effective. I like Seneca Learning because it's good and free, but there are loads out there (both free and paid for). I've heard good reviews of Tassomai and GCSEpod, but you have to pay for both of them, and Quizlet can be pretty good for testing yourself

ReputationRep:
    I can help you revise when im home your dads picking youup
    tacobell for tea?

ReputationRep:
    I just deleted fortnite and said to myseld I can play it as soon as exams are over. Plus I failed AS cuz of not revising as much so scared to fail again is motivating me

ReputationRep:
    tacobell for tea?
    Yeh fancy a bit of taco bell

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so there's obviously a massive distraction for you here in the form of gaming. I've had a similar problem (though not with playing on a PS4). It's important to work in an area where that distraction isn't available to you or to make it impossible for you to access it whilst you're working.

For example, I keep my laptop off and in a drawer so I'm not tempted to use it whilst I'm working. But it's also key not to start using that distraction when you have a break. You'll tell yourself just five more minutes that turns into an hour where you don't do anything useful. You don't want that to happen at all.

I recommend doing revision for 30 minutes, taking a five minute break to do something else (get a snack, read a few pages, go to toilet, whatever) and then revise again for another 30 minutes. After that take a ten minute break and start the process again. It keeps you from getting too bogged down by work and is much more effective than working for three hours and having hours break straight afterwards.

I like to listen to music to provide a bit of stimulation, but if you find that distracting too don't do it. Plus, set a timer for your revision sessions so you don't go over and over work which can be just as bad as not working at all.

Snack motivation is another great method. Set a limit, say every 3 questions, and once you complete this eat a piece of your snack. It could be anything from chunks of apple to chocolates to a bowl of sweets. You want the reward so you have to work.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to play your game. Just schedule time after you've completed your revision for the day. I don't revise after 9:00pm so anything that is no -revision that I want to do for a while, I do after that time.

Well, there's a few tips. Hope it helps!

JAC
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustACoincidence)
    Ok, so there's obviously a massive distraction for you here in the form of gaming. I've had a similar problem (though not with playing on a PS4). It's important to work in an area where that distraction isn't available to you or to make it impossible for you to access it whilst you're working.

For example, I keep my laptop off and in a drawer so I'm not tempted to use it whilst I'm working. But it's also key not to start using that distraction when you have a break. You'll tell yourself just five more minutes that turns into an hour where you don't do anything useful. You don't want that to happen at all.

I recommend doing revision for 30 minutes, taking a five minute break to do something else (get a snack, read a few pages, go to toilet, whatever) and then revise again for another 30 minutes. After that take a ten minute break and start the process again. It keeps you from getting too bogged down by work and is much more effective than working for three hours and having hours break straight afterwards.

I like to listen to music to provide a bit of stimulation, but if you find that distracting too don't do it. Plus, set a timer for your revision sessions so you don't go over and over work which can be just as bad as not working at all.

Snack motivation is another great method. Set a limit, say every 3 questions, and once you complete this eat a piece of your snack. It could be anything from chunks of apple to chocolates to a bowl of sweets. You want the reward so you have to work.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to play your game. Just schedule time after you've completed your revision for the day. I don't revise after 9:00pm so anything that is no -revision that I want to do for a while, I do after that time.

Well, there's a few tips. Hope it helps!

JAC
    That's really helpful! when do you think I should start Monday next week or today?

ReputationRep:
    That's really helpful! when do you think I should start Monday next week or today?
    hi I love you

ReputationRep:
    I would make a revision timetable to slot in all your subjects based on how confident you feel on them and how soon the exam is. Obviously, once you get all the exams for one subject out of the way you have more time to focus on the others. Also, put in anything that you have to do one those days and any commitments; leave space for free time too.

You need to make time for every subject or you may end up doing loads of work for one subject and neglecting the others. That's not a good tactic which is why you need a revision timetable.

Once you know how and when to revise, I would start revising straight away. Remember, revising more effectively is better then revising more. Find what techniques work for you e.g. Flash cards, Mindmaps, Videos, diagrams, etc. Then just go for it!

Best of luck for your exams!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Toby, put your revision into context.
    You have been at school since you were 4.
    8 weeks is nothing, it will be gone in a flash and then you have a long ‘hot’ summer

Start as soon as you can and stick to your timetable.
    Allow for breaks for food & drink.

If you know gaming is your vice ask someone to take the controller away so that you have to ask for it if you want to play.

Trust me, it’s all over very quickly and then you’re on to the long summer

ReputationRep:
    today, don't wait another week

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.