Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Working and studying. Is it possible? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I really want to study in the U.K and it's always been my dream. However, I'm from middle-class Bulgarian family and my parents will not have the ability to send me hundreds of poundseach month. Is it possible for me to work part-time, to get enough money to live normally and study at the same time?
    I want to enroll into a Politics and Intenational Relations course (I haven't which uni yet, so some recommendations would be great! )
    Thank you and have a nice day!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by mitkotatarov)
    Hello!
    I really want to study in the U.K and it's always been my dream. However, I'm from middle-class Bulgarian family and my parents will not have the ability to send me hundreds of poundseach month. Is it possible for me to work part-time, to get enough money to live normally and study at the same time?
    I want to enroll into a Politics and Intenational Relations course (I haven't which uni yet, so some recommendations would be great! )
    You can look for uni courses through the UCAS website. You can work while you study full time but make sure that your studies are not suffering or you can study part time.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by mitkotatarov)
    Hello!
    Heya! I did the same as you're planning to--I worked part-time through my course.

Universities usually have set rules on how much you're allowed to work part-time on top of full-time studies. At my Uni, and I think most others, that is 15 hours a week. I found this more than enough time to both maintain my studies and have enough money to live off of. However, you must be careful to not overload yourself! I only work four hours or so a week in my final and fourth year and even that can be a bit of juggle--so perhaps start off with five to seven and build up some great time management skills, then start increasing things!

Depending on what kind of Uni you go to, there will be plenty of opportunity for part-time work as well--for example, at Herts we're a campus uni with plenty of retail around the area so there's always retail/hospitality jobs available. Whichever Uni you go to, check out the SU job listings--those listings usually have plenty of student-friendly jobs up for grabs! Try to check the list in June for jobs starting in September, and then September again for jobs starting in October. As an example, here's the Herts SU jobs list!

If you want any help narrowing down unis to choose, let me know! Though of course I always have to stan for my own Uni, haha, I think it's a great one

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.