Turn on thread page Beta

Postgraduate different to undergraduate watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey! So this might sound weird/stupid to some, but I don't know how it works and this is the best place to ask.

I'm doing an undergraduate in psychology with criminology for 3 years, and I'm wondering if it would be unheard of to switch it up a bit and do animal psychology/behaviour as a masters? So it's in the same field, I'd have criminal psychology and animal psychology behind me. Is this common? Otherwise I could keep it the same and do forensic psychology as masters.

ReputationRep:
    Can't speak for Psychology but i did my undergrad in Analytical Chemistry, graduated last year, and I am going to do a masters in Immunology, obviously different field, in September. You just need to show your interest in the postgraduate subject and that you have a career path in mind.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You undergrad degree with some level of psych should be sufficient for a masters in animal psych.

ReputationRep:
    It's perfectly possible to swap fields! I've got an offer for an MSc in Biology/Ecology yet am doing Geography at undergrad. Just get good grades and write a great personal statement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomW624)
    Can't speak for Psychology but i did my undergrad in Analytical Chemistry, graduated last year, and I am going to do a masters in Immunology, obviously different field, in September. You just need to show your interest in the postgraduate subject and that you have a career path in mind.
    Thank you! Good luck with Immunology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuestionQuest)
    It's perfectly possible to swap fields! I've got an offer for an MSc in Biology/Ecology yet am doing Geography at undergrad. Just get good grades and write a great personal statement
    That's really helpful to know! Do you think it will inhibit future career choices though? Or maybe it might actually expand them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by hannahdlaura)
    Hey! So this might sound weird/stupid to some, but I don't know how it works and this is the best place to ask.

I'm doing an undergraduate in psychology with criminology for 3 years, and I'm wondering if it would be unheard of to switch it up a bit and do animal psychology/behaviour as a masters? So it's in the same field, I'd have criminal psychology and animal psychology behind me. Is this common? Otherwise I could keep it the same and do forensic psychology as masters.
    I studied animal behaviour in college and I'm currently a psychology undergraduate. I honestly feel they do not link together at all. The human brain, human psychology, human studies etc are pretty different to animal behaviour. The only link are animal studies that usually explain animal behaviour but are used to get some idea of human behaviour. There's a lot more around animal behaviour than just that - I was studying veterinary nursing, animal biology, zoology, business management, microbiology etc. If you want to work with animals as an animal behaviourist for example, you still need to have a good general knowledge and understanding of animals and their care and so coming from an animal college into an animal degree is usually a better route in my opinion.

I think you're more than capable of doing a masters in what you're interested in, but I think you'll find them quite different and animal based jobs require a lot of hands on animal experience which is difficult to get, even on a volunteer basis. I don't think what you're planning on doing is completely unheard of though.

Your decision relates largely to what career you want the most. Honestly, animal work, even if you have a masters under your belt pays quite low and prefers experience. I think you could earn more and open more doors with your psychology, criminology and potential forensics. In the UK, they're starting a new way to become a detective without needing to become a police officer!

I think this is something that deserves a little more thought from multiple angles and I'm happy to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahdlaura)
    That's really helpful to know! Do you think it will inhibit future career choices though? Or maybe it might actually expand them.

It should expand them as you'll always have two potential career routes. Masters are usually quite specific so will certainly make you more employable in its area.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.