Turn on thread page Beta

Do cheaters deserve a second chance? watch

Seen a lot of TSR threads about cheating and whatnot and it got me thinking:

By cheaters, I mean those who are in:
    faithful,
    loyal,
    committed
    & stable
    relationships who simply cheated "once" on their boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife..

Do they deserve a second chance? Yes or No? And why?

ReputationRep:
    too broad a question, every scenario is completely different but if i was to generalize then no they don't, clearly something wrong with the relationship far too many people just dating/marrying for the sake of it rather than trying to find someone who completes them.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It is a bit broad but when I got cheated on i found it impossible to trust them again.

ReputationRep:
    No. Once a cheat,always a cheat.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    No, why should they?

A relationship is pointless without trust and by cheating, you're essentially breaking that trust. One does not simply only cheat "once", there's always a chance that they'll do it again.

Everyone will have different perspectives on this, dependent on
    - what they consider to be cheating
    - their own life experiences and therefore their expectations when in a relationship
    - their age
    - the nature of their relationship from the outset
    - their own morals

Having been through having my (now ex) wife cheat on me by having an affair I am of the opinion that no, there are no second chances with me. If you'd asked me before going through that I might have been more forgiving of, for example, a rogue kiss. Sex with someone else has always been a relationship finisher for me.

ReputationRep:
    If someone feels the need to "cheat", then the relationship is broken. Honesty on this level is key to any relationship and if one partner wants to have sex with someone else, then they should be upfront about it. There are such things as "open" relationships for those that are so inclined.

ReputationRep:
    betrayal is a big deal and we (HM Forces) do not take it lightly. nobody gets the chance to betray us a second time

ReputationRep:
    NOpe they should get their xbox live account suspended
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    How do I know he's not going to do it again? Difficult to trust him again I think.

(Original post by Anonymous)

faithful,
    loyal,
    committed
    & stable
    relationships who simply cheated "once" on their boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife..

no girl cos they clearly are not faithful, loyal or committed

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen anyone say something to do with females cheating, just men or general terms.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    A vague question. Personally I doubt that I would ever be able to forgive someone in that scenario, but I've seen other relationships work out despite cheating.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)

faithful,
    loyal,
    committed
    & stable

No.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No they don't. You don't cheat by "mistake", it's not an accident or a slight misjudgement. If they cheat once, they'll most likely cheat again and the trust would be ruined.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Depends and it isnt always straightforward.
    Look at al the circumstances.
    My starting position would be no.

ReputationRep:
    There are 2 basic approaches you can have to this:

1. The idealistic viewpoint. Where a single act of cheating = straight red card.

2. The pragmatic approach where it's all a big fat "it depends". Depends on the nature of the relationship and the 2 people involved. Depends if the cheater is worth holding onto because they have some overwhelmingly redeeming features. For example, I can understand why Hilary Clinton stood by Bill, despite the stains he left on Monica Lewinsky's dress. OK that's an extreme example and it would be fair to say that most cheats are not worth sticking with.

ReputationRep:
    Personally for me no they do not.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.
    As others have said, once someone cheats, they should not have a second chance.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.