Turn on thread page Beta

What's up with Peterborough in the UK? watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm currently travelling around the UK. Last week me and my gf were in Cambridge and thought it was a nice place. We had a week left before we go back to Compton so we decided to go to a city near by, which we went to Peterborough. We stayed at a hotel which was close to the shopping mall, so in the centre of Peterborough. We've been here for 5 days now and the city looks horrible. Every time me and my gf go out for a walk we get asked if we have change at least 5 times. I haven't actually met many British people here at all, all we came across was Asians, and other eastern Europeans. The houses look like they haven't been touched since the 90's. Everybody on Lincoln road gives us funny looks and on a few occasions I got started on for looking at someone for a second. After 3 days of staying here we found out that somebody got stabbed in a park which is just a 10 minute walk from our hotel.

I started to do some research but by the looks of it, it seems like nobody even knows what Peterborough even is? I did some crime comparisons and the centre of Peterborough had over 2k crimes each month, and nobody seems to care or pay attention? Me and my gf live in Inglewood, Compton and its considered to be 'rough', but when I walk out into Peterborough this place looks and feels so much worse than Compton. Has it always been like this? Why doesn't the government do anything about it? Do any English people live in this city? Before coming to the UK we heard that there's a lot of tension between the British and foreign individuals living here, is that true?

Having lived in the US everybody assumes that the UK is full of posh, nice cities and that there's no 'Hoods' or 'Ghettos' but that doesnt seem to be true. Im just surprised that nothing is being done about it, but other cities which much lower crime rates are taken care of?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by exdeavor)
    So I'm currently travelling around the UK. Last week me and my gf were in Cambridge and thought it was a nice place. We had a week left before we go back to Compton so we decided to go to a city near by, which we went to Peterborough. We stayed at a hotel which was close to the shopping mall, so in the centre of Peterborough. We've been here for 5 days now and the city looks horrible. Every time me and my gf go out for a walk we get asked if we have change at least 5 times. I haven't actually met many British people here at all, all we came across was Asians, and other eastern Europeans. The houses look like they haven't been touched since the 90's. Everybody on Lincoln road gives us funny looks and on a few occasions I got started on for looking at someone for a second. After 3 days of staying here we found out that somebody got stabbed in a park which is just a 10 minute walk from our hotel.

I started to do some research but by the looks of it, it seems like nobody even knows what Peterborough even is? I did some crime comparisons and the centre of Peterborough had over 2k crimes each month, and nobody seems to care or pay attention? Me and my gf live in Inglewood, Compton and its considered to be 'rough', but when I walk out into Peterborough this place looks and feels so much worse than Compton. Has it always been like this? Why doesn't the government do anything about it? Do any English people live in this city? Before coming to the UK we heard that there's a lot of tension between the British and foreign individuals living here, is that true?

Having lived in the US everybody assumes that the UK is full of posh, nice cities and that there's no 'Hoods' or 'Ghettos' but that doesnt seem to be true. Im just surprised that nothing is being done about it, but other cities which much lower crime rates are taken care of?
    Seems very odd you picked Peterborough.

If you didnt like it then why did you stay 5 days?

If you examine crime statistics, then I think you will find those figures are pretty average and include very petty crimes.

As for the ethnic mix from wiki.

According to the 2011 Census, 82.5% of Peterborough's residents categorised themselves as white, 2.8% of mixed ethnic groups, 11.7% Asian, 2.3 per cent black and 0.8% other. Amongst the white population, the largest categories were English/Welsh/Scottish/Northern Irish/British (70.9%) and other white (10.6%). Those of Pakistani ethnicity accounted for 6.6% of the population and those of Indian ethnicity 2.5.%. The largest black group were those of African ethnicity (1.4%)

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.