The Student Room Group

Gaming laptop or desktop for uni?

Hello everyone this is my first post on TSR

As I am going to uni this September I was wondering if it is better to get a laptop with a dedicated graphics or building a desktop gaming pc in my dorm. Is it difficult to transport gaming PCs with monitors if I need to move out in a year?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Laptop
Decent mid-range and upwards, desktop PC for home, something that'll last at least three years .I bought an upper-mid specced PC which lasted me till just after it's 10th 'birthday' just fine. Luckily I got into the habit of having all data, and any particularly important programs/files multiple times [*], backed up on external drives. HDMI to at least 42" 1080 screen.

Cheap laptop or tablet for uni. Should to cheap enough to replace if stolen, lost, or irreparably broken. But only use for lecture PP and associated notes, email, web browsing, social media etc. Get in habit of backing up to main desktop daily.

[ My brother has worked in IT all his life, and apparently there's an adage in the industry, something like, 'data doesn't truly exist, unless it exists it at least three separate location, and the further apart the truer the data' ]
Reply 3
I got a £600ish laptop for my uni work and a good PC I built at home for gaming for £750 (not including the monitor). I would never get a laptop for gaming as it just won't do near as well.
what about studying?
or do you do that in summer? 😕
(edited 6 years ago)
desktop ********
Original post by cyrilk777
Hello everyone this is my first post on TSR

As I am going to uni this September I was wondering if it is better to get a laptop with a dedicated graphics or building a desktop gaming pc in my dorm. Is it difficult to transport gaming PCs with monitors if I need to move out in a year?

Thanks

Surely a gaming PC will just be a distraction?

I've seen a few rooms where people have 3-4 monitor setups + a beastly ATX case and I asked if it was a pain in the ass to transport and they said it was.
Reply 7
Original post by Blue_Cow

I've seen a few rooms where people have 3-4 monitor setups + a beastly ATX case and I asked if it was a pain in the ass to transport and they said it was.

Mine is quite big and it was a pain to transport. Worth it though as you need something to do asides from studying and sleeping.
Reply 8

Yeah that’s true, the main reason why I am considering a desktop is it’s upgradability. I am currently using a Mac from 2013 with 4gb ram and 128gb of storage and it’s really sluggish.

No need yo go to that extreme though. You can get pretty powerful systems on mini ITX boards these days which should handle most modern games. Pair it with a 23-27" inch high refresh monitor, maybe at 1440p if you have the cash and you'd have a system that is both powerful and easy to transport.
DO NOT GET A GAMING LAPTOP, in my opinion they are a waste of money and don't offer nearly the same performance you get from a laptop, from experience i bought a £600 laptop for gaming cause I thought it would be good, It was ****, that was in 2015, from my overview, the really good gaming laptops are too expensive anyway, they are bigger and bulkier (most of them), are louder at load to cool down the hardware as cooling solutions are smaller and the battery life on lots of them is abysmal and maybe will only last 1-2 hours or more if ur lucky.

There are better Gaming PC's which offer you more for the money, the preconception that they are too expensive is wrong, most of this comes from pre-built pc's from even reputable brands which are very expensive, most of it is vat and charges for building the PC, now I know there are some people who dont have the time to build one, in that case just spend your time shopping around looking for deals.

Honestly, your better off getting a pc and buying a really cheap laptop for work, look on ebay and other sites that offer really good deals, dont buy multiple monitors unless ur acc gonna use them and look for deals.
(edited 6 years ago)
LMAO, tnx
Wanted to have a go at this to prove a point. Went on PC Part Picker and was able to make a 1440p capable PC, with an AIO CPU cooler and a monitor included for just over £1k.

Cheapest 1440p capable gaming laptop on pc orld is the Razer Blade which costs £1700.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by mojojojo101
Wanted to have a go at this to prove a point. Went on PC Part Picker and was able to make a 1440p capable PC, with an AIO CPU cooler and a monitor included for just over £1k.

Cheapest 1440p capable gaming laptop on pc orld is the Razer Blade which costs £1700.

That’s a huge difference, could you tell me which graphics card you picked?
Original post by cyrilk777
That’s a huge difference, could you tell me which graphics card you picked?

Used a 1060 6gb. I am pretty sure you could trim the fat and come up with something a little better if you were good at this sort of this which I am not particularly.
Get a desktop. A desktop is barely going to make the whole process of moving out that much more of a hassle. As for it being a distraction you should have a perfectly good library to study in. I know that the last comment sound really sarcy but I do find my desktop a major distraction so I will try to avoid going back home for breaks and just head to study areas.
This is such a struggle i have a £1350 (as of a year ago) desktop that is fing enormous, no idea how i would transport it and i feel like it would be such a distraction even though i stopped playing games on it ages ago. I would go fo the laptop peronally, i have a surface pro 4 which i hate but it does its job.
My pc has a i5 4460, GTX 960, 8GB DDR3 for £200-250, granted i did steal some stuff :colone: but still you could get a used i5 for the price of a new i3 or get ryzen 5 1400 as it offers much better performance, looking for good deals can help a lot
I included a monitor in the price. Used the Asus vx24ah, 24 inch 1440p monitor. As for peripherals you an pick up a decent mechanical keyboard and gaming mouse fairly cheaply but for the money saved you could go overtop with a Blackwidow v2 + Naga Trinity combo and still have enough money left over to buy a ps4 and a couple of games...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending