Turn on thread page Beta

What was it like when your parents had "the talk" with you? watch

Announcements
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Emerald Street are looking for short comments on what it was like the first time you had "the chat" with your mum or dad about sex or periods...

Who did it - mum or dad?

What happened?

Why at that moment?

How did you react?

How do you feel about it looking back?

If you have a story you'd like to share, send me your comment (100 words max) in a PM or leave it below, along with your age and your name, if you'd like that to be included. (You can stay anon but age is important!)

Let's get (over)sharing!

ReputationRep:
    I never had the talk.

(Original post by discobish)
    Emerald Street are looking for short comments on what it was like the first time you had "the chat" with your mum or dad about sex or periods...

Who did it - mum or dad?

What happened?

Why at that moment?

How did you react?

If you have a story you'd like to share, send me your comment (100 words max) in a PM or leave it below, along with your age and your name, if you'd like that to be included. (You can stay anon but age is important!)

Let's get (over)sharing!
    Both parents, told me the basics about what sex is and how it works, because I wanted to know where my brother was coming from. I reacted with fascination and have remained fascinated ever since. Looking back, I feel completely normal and fine about it. I was four when it was explained to me, and am twenty-eight now.

Not concerned about anonymity; if you want to quote me as Tootles (a name by which I am known IRL too), that's fine.

ReputationRep:
    I think my parents realised what sex was about when I started taking long showers in the bathroom so they probably thought it would be a waste to have "the talk" with me after that.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My parents never gave me the sex talk but when I was about 10 my mum gave me the period talk. She just showed me how to use a pad and what to do when I get my first one. It was fairly straightforward and not awkward.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

Who did it - mum or dad?

What happened?

Why at that moment?

How did you react?

Let's get (over)sharing!
    never had the talk before
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I never had the talk, I talked about girls with my brother when I was younger but never a real talk about sexual health or anything.

ReputationRep:
    Never had it with my mum or dad. I remember my brother trying to explain it to me but I was too immature and kept laughing, the idea I could have a “milk like” discharge from where I peed was hilarious and seemed very unreal (It sounds like I’m 5 but I was actually 10/11) I thought he was trolling me!!!!

I ended up having the serious talk with my step dad which was actually good because it didn’t feel awkward like I still can’t imagine how it would’ve gone with my dad lol

ReputationRep:
    my parents didn't just talk about it, they showed me a full demonstration

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=discobish;76430210]Emerald Street are looking for short comments on what it was like the first time you had "the chat" with your mum or dad about sex or periods...

Hey I go by Emiri. I was nine when my mother gave me that talk, she was very simplistic and said something like 'when a man and a woman love each other very much...' It was quite awkward looking back, but all I said at the time was I don't think I'll be doing any of that! She had to give me the talk because I'd just started my period and I was researching why it was happening and my mother caught me looking at pictures. So looking back, I think the talk was quite hilarious because my mother was not really sure about how to explain everything.
    But the talk about periods etc began with 'why the hell didn't you tell me' because nobody else was experiencing it so I thought I was bleeding to death, which is quite funny now that I look back.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    They tried a couple of times lol.

They first gave me a book which I just used to laugh at the 'naked people' in it lol, and also a book on pregnancy, which was incredibly condescending 'Firstly, you need a grown up man and a grown up woman...'ugh.

My mum also tried to get me to explain what 'shag bands' were lol, and what happened if someone broke one, as she saw a report on the news that 'concerned' her. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Pending....

(Original post by Nerry)

Erm what?!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I do wonder about people that have no idea how sex works until their parents tell them about it...

ReputationRep:
    They didn`t lol.

ReputationRep:

Who did it - mum or dad?

What happened?

Why at that moment?

How did you react?

Let's get (over)sharing!
    What is this sex you speak of?
    Age 19

ReputationRep:
    they were smart enough to tell me when i was playing video games , so they kind of knew i wasn't listening but they still got the job done
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    They never did
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Dad said to me "son, we need to have a talk about sex". I replied, " sure dad, what do you need to know?" That was the end of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerry)

bless your soul

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.