Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

As this will be my first time studying since college 13 years ago.

As I am now 34 with a family, trained in carpentry and Joinery, I been in construction all of my adult life, progressing from supervisor to project manager.

I have been looking at a design and innovation course with OU.

Have you done this course? how was it?

Would you suggest full or part time? considering I will be working full time, hopefully with my weekends and one week day to study.

Would you suggest any reading matter before starting?

Anything else that would be of value would be much appreciated.

Thank you for taking time to read this.

Tom
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I can't answer all of the questions, as my experience with the Design programme is second-hand. A friend of my wife's got her BA in design two years ago. (Edited to add that she was employed in design for a tech firm immediately after graduation.)

She was extremely happy with the course, and her enthusiasm helped ease my doubts about distance learning. (I had horrible experiences with distance learning in the age before the web.)

She took it part time while working full time and being a single mother to a young child. The stage 3 modules were extremely time consuming with her circumstances, but she managed.

For myself, I'm still in stage 1, also part time. I study nights after the children are in bed every night of the week, and the better part of Sundays. Doing it full time is possible, but I personally wouldn't fancy it, something in my life would suffer. Some people recommend seeing how they get on with stage 1 part time before seeing if they want to try stage 2 full time. I'm not sure I'd agree, but have no frame of reference, yet.

Anyway, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your reply.

Very good suggestion regarding taking the first stage part time. I think this would be the way to go.

All the best
    Tom
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.