Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I am writing my EPQ and my teacher is adimant that it has to be a comparison and that I must compare two sides and shouldn’t bother to go into too much detail about the biological and medical understanding as it is unnecessary. I am looking at using CRISPR which is a gene editing technique to treat Non small cell lung cancer. Does anyone have any idea what my question could be Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Sam_C_)
    So I am writing my EPQ and my teacher is adimant that it has to be a comparison and that I must compare two sides and shouldn’t bother to go into too much detail about the biological and medical understanding as it is unnecessary. I am looking at using CRISPR which is a gene editing technique to treat Non small cell lung cancer. Does anyone have any idea what my question could be Thanks
    Not sure it has to be a comparison (until you know the title or have settled on approach) , but it should have some analysis with possible pros and cons. You are looking for an area of contention and evaluation. Where is the debate on this technique? What are the questions people want answered and what are your views?

I think you can use some medical and biological explanation, but no need to go overboard and if someone wants more detail they can get a textbook.

Before you pick the title do research so you are up to speed and jot down ideas of angles you can attack the subject at.

How promising? How effective? How efficient? Benefits and drawbacks?
    You could compare against existing methods and approaches.

When I knew more then I would test the possible titles or ideas that research had generated and write some detailed plans. I would go with the best one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Not sure it has to be a comparison (until you know the title or have settled on approach) , but it should have some analysis with possible pros and cons. You are looking for an area of contention and evaluation. Where is the debate on this technique? What are the questions people want answered and what are your views?

I think you can use some medical and biological explanation, but no need to go overboard and if someone wants more detail they can get a textbook.

Before you pick the title do research so you are up to speed and jot down ideas of angles you can attack the subject at.

How promising? How effective? How efficient? Benefits and drawbacks?
    You could compare against existing methods and approaches.

When I knew more then I would test the possible titles or ideas that research had generated and write some detailed plans. I would go with the best one.
    Thank you so much! You really sound like you know what you’re talking about That’s really helpful to know where I should go from where I am at right now Thanks!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Thank you so much! You really sound like you know what you’re talking about That’s really helpful to know where I should go from where I am at right now Thanks!
    You can also read mark schemes/ feedback reports on epq to get an idea of the examiners experience.

I get what your teacher is saying. It cant afford to be two dimensional and just a description as that is not what they are interested in. They want original work from you and to know what you think and how you reached your conclusions.

What they want is for you to have used your skills to:
    Research.
    Identify material.
    Structure an investigation. Detailed essay plan.
    Analyse the issues.
    Place it in context.
    Evaluate with intelligent personal views based on your research and new knowledge.

You need to get the technical things right.
    Reference it.
    Proof it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You can also read mark schemes/ feedback reports on epq to get an idea of the examiners experience.

I get what your teacher is saying. It cant afford to be two dimensional and just a description as that is not what they are interested in. They want original work from you and to know what you think and how you reached your conclusions.

What they want is for you to have used your skills to:
    Research.
    Identify material.
    Structure an investigation. Detailed essay plan.
    Analyse the issues.
    Place it in context.
    Evaluate with intelligent personal views based on your research and new knowledge.

You need to get the technical things right.
    Reference it.
    Proof it.

Thanks It is useful to have all the info as to what they am looking for
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Thanks It is useful to have all the info as to what they am looking for
    Read the mark schemes and you will get a feel for what they look for.
    Once you start to jot down ideas, then you can form a plan which gives you direction and confidence. GL.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.