Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys, im currently a 1st year Mathematics student and I want to drop out and do economics at another uni. My a level grades are A*AB. The uni i want to move to want A*AA, do you think I could get in, also whats the procedure for moving or am i better off talking to my personal tutor
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by jaaaaciiiii)
    Hello guys, im currently a 1st year Mathematics student and I want to drop out and do economics at another uni. My a level grades are A*AB. The uni i want to move to want A*AA, do you think I could get in, also whats the procedure for moving or am i better off talking to my personal tutor
    Heya! I would definitely speak to your personal tutor--they are there for you in exactly these situations! And as well--the procedure for moving or transferring courses/Universities could be different for each University in question.

I wonder why you want to switch from Mathematics to Economics? I'm a physics students (with loads of maths friends) and I wonder if you're struggling or wanting to switch for a reason that could be easily solvable or that I could advise you on. For example, if you're thinking that your current course is too heavy-handed on pure maths, know that you can usually choose more application-friendly modules with each year of a course.

ReputationRep:
    You cant transfer to economics at your uni? if you have a solid math foundation they may be able to work with you, learning some of the theory doenst take too long.

If you planned to transfer you should have applied long ago, this cycle is nearly over. You could apply now though and not get a place on good courses and hope something opens up through clearing. I go to Nottingham, i know they are very iffy with their economics students about intial grades. Economics also involves alot of maths, so if your trying to run from maths, its best to hide somewhere else. Like a management course. (which i do lol).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelle Bieger)
    Heya! I would definitely speak to your personal tutor--they are there for you in exactly these situations! And as well--the procedure for moving or transferring courses/Universities could be different for each University in question.

I wonder why you want to switch from Mathematics to Economics? I'm a physics students (with loads of maths friends) and I wonder if you're struggling or wanting to switch for a reason that could be easily solvable or that I could advise you on. For example, if you're thinking that your current course is too heavy-handed on pure maths, know that you can usually choose more application-friendly modules with each year of a course.
    Hi, I'm really fed up with the pure side to mathematics, I find it beyond irrelevant at this point. I know I can choose more applied modules next year but there will always be pure maths which is really frustrating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    You cant transfer to economics at your uni? if you have a solid math foundation they may be able to work with you, learning some of the theory doenst take too long.

If you planned to transfer you should have applied long ago, this cycle is nearly over. You could apply now though and not get a place on good courses and hope something opens up through clearing. I go to Nottingham, i know they are very iffy with their economics students about intial grades. Economics also involves alot of maths, so if your trying to run from maths, its best to hide somewhere else. Like a management course. (which i do lol).
    hey, Yeah I currently go king's but i guess the move is more to do with the fact i want to move out. And don't get it wrong I like maths just sick to death of proofs, but im certain i'll enjoy economics maths

ReputationRep:
    hey, Yeah I currently go king's but i guess the move is more to do with the fact i want to move out. And don't get it wrong I like maths just sick to death of proofs, but im certain i'll enjoy economics maths
    You just really picked an awkward time to decide this, i mean obviously dropping out is never ideal but write universities and see if someone can help.. You could take a year out, recharge and reapply next year.. but tbh, i did my foundation course last year and started in january so my application didnt go out till april and nottingham still offered me a place for business. So there maybe stilll hope at decent unis, but obviously moving up over KCL will be difficult. Economics is also in demand similar maybe even more then business. Which uni did you have in mind?

ReputationRep:
    You just really picked an awkward time to decide this, i mean obviously dropping out is never ideal but write universities and see if someone can help.. You could take a year out, recharge and reapply next year.. but tbh, i did my foundation course last year and started in january so my application didnt go out till april and nottingham still offered me a place for business. So there maybe stilll hope at decent unis, but obviously moving up over KCL will be difficult. Economics is also in demand similar maybe even more then business. Which uni did you have in mind?
    Manchester/ Nottingham

ReputationRep:
    Manchester/ Nottingham
    Manchester is likely not going to happen at this point....

Nottingham might, we have loads of places, you have A level grades already so you could quickly apply and try, for example you can do an industrial (applied business economics degree)(you wont earn any less money), It requires AAB through the business school, and apply for classic economics in the same app requires A*AA of course.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is likely not going to happen at this point....

Nottingham might, we have loads of places, you have A level grades already so you could quickly apply and try, for example you can do an industrial (applied business economics degree)(you wont earn any less money), It requires AAB through the business school, and apply for classic economics in the same app requires A*AA of course.
    Will look into it, cheers!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.