Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’m currently a second year history student. I have researched into law and decided that I would like to become a solicitor. I feel like I would be able to achieve a first on my course however, my A-level grades were not the best (BBC). I also have absolute zero experience or contacts within the law field (although I’d be very much willing to gain some). The GDL course would only be fiscally possible to me if I get a law firm to sponsor me. Given my lack of experience or contacts within this field what do I need to do to make getting in with a law firm a possibility and pursuing a law career at this stage even realistic? Thanks for any help in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Something like 30-40% of solicitors in city law firms come from non-law degrees/background.

You need to:

- focus on getting the best academic grade you can in your subject
    - work experience would be good (can be anything from vacation schemes to working in your local high street firm)
    - build your CV with other extra circular activities

Typically a 3rd year non-law student would be applying for training contracts so you've got about 6 months to start getting things into gear (vac scheme applications start surprisingly early). Go to the presentations that law firms come to give to your university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ricky1526)
    I’m currently a second year history student. I have researched into law and decided that I would like to become a solicitor. I feel like I would be able to achieve a first on my course however, my A-level grades were not the best (BBC). I also have absolute zero experience or contacts within the law field (although I’d be very much willing to gain some). The GDL course would only be fiscally possible to me if I get a law firm to sponsor me. Given my lack of experience or contacts within this field what do I need to do to make getting in with a law firm a possibility and pursuing a law career at this stage even realistic? Thanks for any help in advance.
    I did the GDL and I'm doing the LPC now, self funded. It's definitely worth applying. Go to as many firm events, open evenings etc. as you can. Also, remember that you can always do something else for a few years and then do the conversion - plenty of people do that and use the commercial knowledge they gain to get a great training contract. If I had to do it again, this is what I would do. The process of getting a TC is crushingly competitive though; so you'll need a thick skin and to be prepared for a load of rejections!

If there were extenuating circumstances for your A-levels, many firms do take that into account. The best thing is to ask at campus events etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ricky1526)
    Financially, not fiscally!!!

There are plenty of ways to get law work experience. Aspiring Solicitors and PRIME offer some if you're eligible (even though I suspect that you won't be give your A-levels - I think that social mobility schemes have a threshold around AAB?).

You can cold-call local High Street firms in your area.

You can hang around a County Court, be a regular presence at an open hearing, and try approaching the barrister afterwards with a pitch for a mini pupillage with them (I know a guy from the Uni of Greenwich who used the approach with success after a full set of mini pupillage rejections).

You can volunteer with CAB or a local legal clinic (your uni's law school may have one) over the summer holidays. This is actually a near-guaranteed way of getting good, substantial w/e - you'll be getting non-stop client contact and doing heavy legal/admin tasks on the side.

You can even try building your profile on Linkedin and try replying to barristers or academics who call for a temporary research assistant through that platform (I've seen it being done twice on my feed in the past 12 months; it's definitely possible if you have enough professionals as your connections).

I'll add anything else I can think of

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.