Turn on thread page Beta

Petition Debate: Make British Sign Language part of the National Curriculum watch

•  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    MPs will be debating an e-petition that calls for British Sign Language to be taught in schools.

The petition said:
    "Around 50,000 people in the UK use British Sign Language, so why is this not taught in schools? There are many children who are born deaf, and we need to give them a better chance at a more integrated future. This is why BSL needs to be taught in schools."

You can watch the debate on Parliament TV from 4.30pm http://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index...0-7524a2613d00

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely useless, let us subject millions to learning a very useless language for the benefit of a few people.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldnt it be more appropriate to learn Arabic, Polish, Hindi, Cantonese etc. by the metric you mention? there are far more native speakers of those languages than sign...

ReputationRep:
    It would be fun to learn in primary, I say teach it in primary schools P1-7 on a weekly basis and occasionally in secondary schools, particularly in early years of S1 and S2.

I agree with the above post that basic Mandarin (simplified) should be part of the national curriculum. Obviously I wouldn't expect school pupils to be fluent speakers of the language but basics of the language could encourage more to learn the language which would be attractive to businesses here.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.