Turn on thread page Beta

Maths A level / struggling between picking BTEC Computing or doing A levels watch

ReputationRep:
    Lately I've been thinking about what is the best choice for focusing on programming in university. As I find maths a bit hard right now, I MIGHT not be able to achieve a 7 in the new 9-1 GCSE, therefore A level maths would seem like a nightmare for someone who cannot achieve at least a 7 (I'm currently on a 6). Achieving a grade 7 is not impossible, but the fact that A levels tend to be a lot harder than GCSEs might drag my final grades down, which would ultimately result in low grades for uni.

Main question: What do you think about BTEC Computing/ BTECs in general (level 3) ? Would 2 years of A levels be enough to significantly improve in mathematics? What do you think about academic vs practical courses?

ReputationRep:
    Personally,lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnng story short-A-levels!

ReputationRep:
    I did a BTEC Level 3 in Computing and went on to do a BSc Computer Science degree and now I'm studying for my MSc. I got a B (6 in new grading) in Maths GCSE and did fine in my CompSci degree which was maths heavy and I didn't do A level Maths.

Personally, I think the practical skills you get from the BTEC are more beneficial, I also work as a Software Engineer and I use skills learnt from my BTEC years ago in my job such as: tools for requirements modelling e.g. UML, development methodologies, database design and the programming modules on the BTEC were my first experience with writing code which got me to pursue a career in Software Engineering.

Also, don't worry too much about unis accepting the BTEC, people from my BTEC class got offers from: Kings College London, Southampton, Manchester, Surrey, Royal Holloway, Sussex, Bath and UCL - All very respectable universities.

A level Maths would help you though, if you can take both the Computing BTEC and Maths A level that would be a very good combination and would allow you to apply to the very top universities (Including Oxford who accept Triple Distinction (DDD) + A* in the BTEC in IT/Computing + Maths).

I assume you are looking to do a degree in Computer Science?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    I did a BTEC Level 3 in Computing and went on to do a BSc Computer Science degree and now I'm studying for my MSc. I got a B (6 in new grading) in Maths GCSE and did fine in my CompSci degree which was maths heavy and I didn't do A level Maths.

Personally, I think the practical skills you get from the BTEC are more beneficial, I also work as a Software Engineer and I use skills learnt from my BTEC years ago in my job such as: tools for requirements modelling e.g. UML, development methodologies, database design and the programming modules on the BTEC were my first experience with writing code which got me to pursue a career in Software Engineering.

Also, don't worry too much about unis accepting the BTEC, people from my BTEC class got offers from: Kings College London, Southampton, Manchester, Surrey, Royal Holloway, Sussex, Bath and UCL - All very respectable universities.

A level Maths would help you though, if you can take both the Computing BTEC and Maths A level that would be a very good combination and would allow you to apply to the very top universities (Including Oxford who accept Triple Distinction (DDD) + A* in the BTEC in IT/Computing + Maths).

I assume you are looking to do a degree in Computer Science?
    Thank you so much for your response!
    Yes, I intend on studying a Computer Science in university. I always thought a BTEC would help me more when it comes to practical skills and the way I learn, however many people think it’s not the best choice.
    You helped me view BTECs in a more positive way.
    I realised it all comes down to what you’re the best at (not what other people expect you to do).
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syhal)
    Thank you so much for your response!
    Yes, I intend on studying a Computer Science in university. I always thought a BTEC would help me more when it comes to practical skills and the way I learn, however many people think it’s not the best choice.
    You helped me view BTECs in a more positive way.
    I realised it all comes down to what you’re the best at (not what other people expect you to do).
    No problem at all,

Agreed when I was at college people questioned me for taking the BTEC but its taken me a lot further than those people who did question me, definitely one of the best choices I made for my education.

Exactly correct. I was considering Computing and IT A levels but I couldn't decide on a third A level so I decided on doing the triple BTEC (Extended Diploma) because that counted for 3 A levels and covered pretty much everything from Computing and IT A levels and loads more useful skills that have benefited me, as well as that you have a compulsory work placement with the BTEC, I'd recommend sorting this out early and get the best one possible for you, for example a local software development company? You'll find having this short relevant work placement very useful when applying to internships/grad schemes later on where most others will not have done any relevant work.

A level Maths can be quite useful for Comp Sci though, if you have the option to I would recommend taking it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.