Maths A level / struggling between picking BTEC Computing or doing A levels Watch

Syhal
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Lately I've been thinking about what is the best choice for focusing on programming in university. As I find maths a bit hard right now, I MIGHT not be able to achieve a 7 in the new 9-1 GCSE, therefore A level maths would seem like a nightmare for someone who cannot achieve at least a 7 (I'm currently on a 6). Achieving a grade 7 is not impossible, but the fact that A levels tend to be a lot harder than GCSEs might drag my final grades down, which would ultimately result in low grades for uni.

Main question: What do you think about BTEC Computing/ BTECs in general (level 3) ? Would 2 years of A levels be enough to significantly improve in mathematics? What do you think about academic vs practical courses?
SannHash
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Personally,lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnng story short-A-levels!
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did a BTEC Level 3 in Computing and went on to do a BSc Computer Science degree and now I'm studying for my MSc. I got a B (6 in new grading) in Maths GCSE and did fine in my CompSci degree which was maths heavy and I didn't do A level Maths.

Personally, I think the practical skills you get from the BTEC are more beneficial, I also work as a Software Engineer and I use skills learnt from my BTEC years ago in my job such as: tools for requirements modelling e.g. UML, development methodologies, database design and the programming modules on the BTEC were my first experience with writing code which got me to pursue a career in Software Engineering.

Also, don't worry too much about unis accepting the BTEC, people from my BTEC class got offers from: Kings College London, Southampton, Manchester, Surrey, Royal Holloway, Sussex, Bath and UCL - All very respectable universities.

A level Maths would help you though, if you can take both the Computing BTEC and Maths A level that would be a very good combination and would allow you to apply to the very top universities (Including Oxford who accept Triple Distinction (DDD) + A* in the BTEC in IT/Computing + Maths).

I assume you are looking to do a degree in Computer Science?
Syhal
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by yt7777)
I did a BTEC Level 3 in Computing and went on to do a BSc Computer Science degree and now I'm studying for my MSc. I got a B (6 in new grading) in Maths GCSE and did fine in my CompSci degree which was maths heavy and I didn't do A level Maths.

Personally, I think the practical skills you get from the BTEC are more beneficial, I also work as a Software Engineer and I use skills learnt from my BTEC years ago in my job such as: tools for requirements modelling e.g. UML, development methodologies, database design and the programming modules on the BTEC were my first experience with writing code which got me to pursue a career in Software Engineering.

Also, don't worry too much about unis accepting the BTEC, people from my BTEC class got offers from: Kings College London, Southampton, Manchester, Surrey, Royal Holloway, Sussex, Bath and UCL - All very respectable universities.

A level Maths would help you though, if you can take both the Computing BTEC and Maths A level that would be a very good combination and would allow you to apply to the very top universities (Including Oxford who accept Triple Distinction (DDD) + A* in the BTEC in IT/Computing + Maths).

I assume you are looking to do a degree in Computer Science?
Thank you so much for your response!
Yes, I intend on studying a Computer Science in university. I always thought a BTEC would help me more when it comes to practical skills and the way I learn, however many people think it’s not the best choice.
You helped me view BTECs in a more positive way.
I realised it all comes down to what you’re the best at (not what other people expect you to do).
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Syhal)
Thank you so much for your response!
Yes, I intend on studying a Computer Science in university. I always thought a BTEC would help me more when it comes to practical skills and the way I learn, however many people think it’s not the best choice.
You helped me view BTECs in a more positive way.
I realised it all comes down to what you’re the best at (not what other people expect you to do).
No problem at all,

Agreed when I was at college people questioned me for taking the BTEC but its taken me a lot further than those people who did question me, definitely one of the best choices I made for my education.

Exactly correct. I was considering Computing and IT A levels but I couldn't decide on a third A level so I decided on doing the triple BTEC (Extended Diploma) because that counted for 3 A levels and covered pretty much everything from Computing and IT A levels and loads more useful skills that have benefited me, as well as that you have a compulsory work placement with the BTEC, I'd recommend sorting this out early and get the best one possible for you, for example a local software development company? You'll find having this short relevant work placement very useful when applying to internships/grad schemes later on where most others will not have done any relevant work.

A level Maths can be quite useful for Comp Sci though, if you have the option to I would recommend taking it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.18%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.41%
Not great so far... (251)
35.65%
I want to drop out! (132)
18.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed