Turn on thread page Beta

Is anyone else not bothered by cat calling? watch

I really hate it, it's always by creepy old men while i'm on my way home from school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well yeah tbh if I called another girl pretty and she just ignored me I'd be a bit like 'oh right then'. I'm not complimenting to be her friend or get her number or to receive a compliment back. But it's common curtesy to say thank you. If it's said in a normal way. Obviously if I went to a girl and said damn nice titties, I don't think she'd be too happy about it. And I know the person hasn't asked for a compliment and sometimes you can get taken by surprise and don't know what to say. But it's hardly a crime.
    And there's your problem. You are forcing them to interact with you and make you feel thanked. In fact, there are far too many women who will have negative experience of saying no to men, or ignoring them, that they will then acknowledge men even though they don't really want to. Not saying it's all, not even saying it's the majority. But far too many.

Why is it one rule for women and one rule for men?
    Read the above, I think it's sage to say women have far far fewer negative experience with other women than with men, especially regarding sexuality/appearance.

(Original post by yudothis)
    And there's your problem. You are forcing them to interact with you and make you feel thanked. In fact, there are far too many women who will have negative experience of saying no to men, or ignoring them, that they will then acknowledge men even though they don't really want to. Not saying it's all, not even saying it's the majority. But far too many.

Read the above, I think it's sage to say women have far far fewer negative experience with other women than with men, especially regarding sexuality/appearance.
    I don't just mean woman to woman. I mean woman to man.
    Am I allowed to compliment a guy's trainers? Is it bad if I'm a bit disheartened that he gave me a death stare and didn't acknowledge me.

ReputationRep:
    I don't just mean woman to woman. I mean woman to man.
    Am I allowed to compliment a guy's trainers? Is it bad if I'm a bit disheartened that he gave me a death stare and didn't acknowledge me.
    Again, I don't think men in general have bad experience with women.

Think about it this way. Why are men so for being allowed to compliment women, but if you had a 6.5 man complimenting them and behaving towards them as they do towards women, oh so many would be mad and get aggressive.

Fwiw I'd find that intimidating for sure and wouldn't want it, no matter how much "it's just a compliment".

Again, I don't think men in general have bad experience with women.

Think about it this way. Why are men so for being allowed to compliment women, but if you had a 6.5 man complimenting them and behaving towards them as they do towards women, oh so many would be mad and get aggressive.

Fwiw I'd find that intimidating for sure and wouldn't want it, no matter how much "it's just a compliment".
    As in a guy complimenting another guy? I see that all the time

ReputationRep:
    As in a guy complimenting another guy? I see that all the time
    I am a guy so I just answered that.

Do you see it between strangers or mates?

I am a guy so I just answered that.

Do you see it between strangers or mates?
    Both but notice it more with strangers. A lot of 'bro' and 'dude' and 'mate' and bro hugs. And then in particular if they're at a club or at a party they'll go off and have a little bromance. It's cute to watch tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Both but notice it more with strangers. A lot of 'bro' and 'dude' and 'mate' and bro hugs. And then in particular if they're at a club or at a party they'll go off and have a little bromance. It's cute to watch tbh.

Anyway, I maintain that enough women feel uncomfortable for strangers to do for us to say it's not courteous to do so. However, a last thing I will say, a compliment is ofc much better than catcalling. Although, why not compliment and just walk away without an expectation of a thank you. If it's obvious you compliment and await a reply, I refer back to my initial question, why did you compliment?

ReputationRep:
    Then why did you say you don't understand, I'm a bit confused?

And good for you, encourage all your mates to do likewise
    I changed my mind - I guess I inferred what is meant by "catcalled" incorrectly.

I don't think catcalling is the right way to attract the classy women I am into

ReputationRep:

Anyway, I maintain that enough women feel uncomfortable for strangers to do for us to say it's not courteous to do so. However, a last thing I will say, a compliment is ofc much better than catcalling. Although, why not compliment and just walk away without an expectation of a thank you. If it's obvious you compliment and await a reply, I refer back to my initial question, why did you compliment?

You need to always check youtube links via the the preview post button before posting them.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    You need to always check youtube links via the the preview post button before posting them.....
    Awkward...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2018
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.