starmilk
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I just wanted to know (since my evaluating sucks), would it be good to evaluate the procedures and results in the key study you're talking about or would it be more effective to talk about what other research supports/disproves it?

For example:
'Discuss whether brain training tasks are effective in increasing cognitive ability.'

Would it be better to:
A) After describing the procedure and results of the key study, critique the methods they used to conduct the research and analyse the results.

or

B) After describing the procedure and results of the key study, write about other research which supports or disproves the research and describe and explain why.

thanks!
fxlloutboyy
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
both!
Cxletteee
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Not sure which is ideal but I study a level psychology and tend to do a bit of both; criticise the methodology of the key study then add in a couple of other studies to support/refute an argument.

Tbh I don't think it matters what you do as long as you make it relevant. E.g. If you criticise a study for using say, self report, you have to say why this is bad and what the implications are (the study may lack validity and then you can't draw conclusions from it!) Similarly, if you put it an another piece of research that refutes it, say what that may mean overall (if it refutes a theory you might say this suggests that the theory should be refined).

I think the best method is to evaluate methodology of a study, then use another piece of research that refutes the study but ALSO evaluate that. In our lessons now we are mostly just evaluating key studies as my teachers thinks it'll be too much to learn 3/4 extra studies per topic! Hope this helps
Findlay6
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Both.

Maybe critique methodology first and then suggest supporting/challenging research.

Use clear connectives to show how your work is coherent and organised (however, whereas, although....)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.71%
Okay (110)
28.87%
A bit lacking (143)
37.53%
Not good at all (91)
23.88%

Watched Threads