Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to know (since my evaluating sucks), would it be good to evaluate the procedures and results in the key study you're talking about or would it be more effective to talk about what other research supports/disproves it?

For example:
    'Discuss whether brain training tasks are effective in increasing cognitive ability.'

Would it be better to:
    A) After describing the procedure and results of the key study, critique the methods they used to conduct the research and analyse the results.

or

B) After describing the procedure and results of the key study, write about other research which supports or disproves the research and describe and explain why.

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    both!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Not sure which is ideal but I study a level psychology and tend to do a bit of both; criticise the methodology of the key study then add in a couple of other studies to support/refute an argument.

Tbh I don't think it matters what you do as long as you make it relevant. E.g. If you criticise a study for using say, self report, you have to say why this is bad and what the implications are (the study may lack validity and then you can't draw conclusions from it!) Similarly, if you put it an another piece of research that refutes it, say what that may mean overall (if it refutes a theory you might say this suggests that the theory should be refined).

I think the best method is to evaluate methodology of a study, then use another piece of research that refutes the study but ALSO evaluate that. In our lessons now we are mostly just evaluating key studies as my teachers thinks it'll be too much to learn 3/4 extra studies per topic! Hope this helps
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Both.

Maybe critique methodology first and then suggest supporting/challenging research.

Use clear connectives to show how your work is coherent and organised (however, whereas, although....)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 11, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.