Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am currently doing my first year of multimedia journalism in bournemouth and I am a student within journalism and I was wondering if there are any people who have taken a gap year and felt like it was a bad decision to make or people who feel that gap years are just a waste of time, this is to go towards my features assignment and I would feel really grateful if people could respond. many thanks
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and gets back to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bovvergirl)
    Hi, I am currently doing my first year of multimedia journalism in bournemouth and I am a student within journalism and I was wondering if there are any people who have taken a gap year and felt like it was a bad decision to make or people who feel that gap years are just a waste of time, this is to go towards my features assignment and I would feel really grateful if people could respond. many thanks
    Im on a gap year right now, and it has been the most insightful year of my life.
    Allowed me to evaluate myself, re ignite my passion for the subject i want to study at university ( college really demotivated my over 2 years, it felt like the teachers just wanted to teach to pass exams, not to influence greater thought ).
    Its also allowed to me to run through my friends and realise which friends are good for me and which arent, which are real which are fake and as ive been on a gap year ive been able to just cut of those bad and/or fake friends very easily.

I thank my 9 months ago self every day for taking this decision, even though i couldve continued as i had top grades and offers from some of the best unis in the world. But i chose to take a year out and it has genuinly has been a blessing.

I feel years down the down i will look at this year as the defining year of my life, its been a life changer.

apart from all this, just things like working for many months which gave me an insight to real life.
    I purposely did many jobs, so kept moving around in jobs and tried to do some pretty rough jobs, and all this just has motivated my soo much to study and smash university, and i feel im 100 % ready to go on to uni this next year.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you do nothing with it, it is a waste of time. If you work or get experience or travel it can be the best time of your life.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you do.

I had a gap year volunteering as an english teacher abroad, made me realise I didn't want to study psychology at uni and instead become a teacher. I'm in my second year after leaving school, working and applying for primary ed. I've worked in retail and in hospitality and I'm glad of it, gaining independence (despite living with my mum) and saving money for uni and travel during the summer.

So yeah, glad I took a gap year <3
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by bovvergirl)
    Hi there,

Gap years can be a fantastic experience if you use it wisely.

Firstly gap years will create a gap in education/employment on your CV and you need to be able to tell future employers or learning institutions how you spent that time.

You need to be able to provide examples of how your gap year helped you grow as an individual and how it has supported your career goals. Gap years can be great for developing life skills and transferable employment skills too.

If you take a year off and do nothing, this may not work in your favour in future interviews as it may not show you in the best light.

Great ways to fill your gap year are:

- Volunteering
    - Working/volunteering abroad
    - Doing paid or unpaid work placements in the industry you wish to work in
    - Doing additional qualifications/courses

The National Careers Service is more than happy to support anyone looking for further advice and guidance on gap years and I am happy to support with any further questions you may have.

Also here is a great website for further reading - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and...ience/gap-year

Many thanks - Sophie.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hello,

Im a ambassador and student at Bournemouth University.

In my experience taking a gap year was an amazing experience and opened my eyes to what I wanted to do in the future! Not only can you do things like the others have suggested, but it really can be a good talking point on your CV and a great life experience.

I also, took advantage of the Placement year thats offered with your course. You can treat that as a way to get new experiences and take a gap away from education for a year.

Have you considered doing a placement? Also what did you want to get out of your gap year?

Let me know if you have any questions, Im happy to help

Dom

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.